Parallels + Ubuntu 8.0.4: ABSOLUTELY no way to get networking.

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by majortom, Sep 11, 2008.

1. majortom

majortom Member

Hi to everybody.
    I believe the subject of this post is clear. I'm trying to have Ubuntu 8.0.4 net-working with Parallels but, regardless all instructions I saw in the manual, into the forum andarounf the web, there is no way to have Ubuntu net-working.
    I tryed both Parallels 5608 and 5624 and Parallelsl 4beta, WITH or WITHOUT tools installed.
    I tryed all types of connections: shared and bridged (Default, Ethernet - no Airport 'cause networking comes from the Ethernet).
    I tryied different types of Ethernet Sharing in Mac OS X (but: is it necessary)??
    I tryed to set Ubuntu to use Parallels networking drivers or disabling them.
    NO WAY TO HAVE NETWORKING IN UBUNTU/PARALLELS. But it works like a charms in Fusion, with any kind of setting, just DHCP in Ubuntu, as in Parallels.
    Can something be wrong in my router or my machine (MacBook 1,1 - Mac OS 10.5.4 - 2 Gbytes RAM).
    I'm placing a few pictures of my settings, in order to help you people understand my problem:
    http://www.visinoni.com/pictsfortheweb/Parallels/PL1.png
    http://www.visinoni.com/pictsfortheweb/Parallels/PL2.png
    http://www.visinoni.com/pictsfortheweb/Parallels/PL3.png
    http://www.visinoni.com/pictsfortheweb/Parallels/PL4.png
    Thank you in advance for any suggestion.
    Simon

2. fromans

fromans Member

Have you tried enabling the network connection in Ubuntu?

Click on the Network Manager applet, and see if there's a dot in the radio button for "Wired Network". If not, click on it to enable it.

I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9 in the same 3 builds you listed, and I have this problem in all of them. Once I reboot a VM, I have to select that option. It doesn't matter if the Parallels tools are installed or not. For me I suspect it may be some weirdness between Parallels and Gnome. I wonder if KDE users have this problem.

3. majortom

majortom Member

Is the network manager applet in system preferences (ubuntu)?
    Thanks

4. fromans

fromans Member

It's the icon on the menu panel that looks like a computer, near the clock on the right side.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  5. majortom

majortom Member

You're right about the Network Manager Applet, it must be enabled at each reboot.
    Unfortunately I'm still having no network. In the applets infos I get 0.0.0.0 IP and in System Prefs -> Networking I get a 169.x.x.x address, like fi DHCP is not working corectly.
    Just a question: What setting in the "Route" tab? I have: 0.0.0.0.
    Thanks again. Simon.

6. fromans

fromans Member

I just use DHCP without modifying any settings. If you've changed any of those Parallels Adapter settings in your Mac Network preferences then just put them back to defaults. I had mixed results with Shared and Bridged networking. I can't remember off the top of my head which one worked better. Try them both out and see.

7. majortom

majortom Member

Wondering if any thread/daemon related to VMWare Fusion could be the cause of teh problem...

8. fromans

fromans Member

Doubtful. I have VMware Fusion, Parallels, and VirtualBox all installed on my Mac.

9. majortom

majortom Member

No way... whenever I choose DHCP in Ubunt I get this message:
    "the default gateway IP address is invalid".
    In the menubar applet Info I can see Received and Transmitted bytes changing frequently like if the network is working but no datas are sent to the Browser or what else...

10. majortom

majortom Member

Works: Bridged Ethernet and disabled Parallels Tools' net drivers in System -> Hardware Drivers ... (something).
    Can't the problem be in the emulated ethernet chip (Realtek)?
    Regards. Simon.

11. fromans

fromans Member

Anything is possible, I suppose. I still think it must be unique to your system though. I haven't had any trouble getting a DHCP address on any VM's. I just know that you have to select the "Wired Network" everytime. A coworker of mine confirmed this occurs in his Parallels Linux VM's as well and he also had no trouble getting a DHCP address as soon the network is selected. It's only a minor annoyance for us.

12. majortom

majortom Member

Well, considering that Parallels 4.0 is a great product, that virtualizations is what I need now for Linux until it will be my favorite OS, I do agree that the need to activate a Wired Connection at each startup is a minor problem.
    I just would only like to know how does OpenGL perform in a machine with a "serious" video card (i have a 950-based MacBook which support no more tha OpenGL 1.2 in HW).
    Thank you again for your help.

13. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

I have to issue too but found a simple workaround. You have to login and type:
    'sudo dhclient eth0'

Unfortunately it then prevents usage of the VM as an autonomous server.

14. majortom

majortom Member

Thank you very much for the suggestion as the solution up described not always works. Unfortunately as all virtualizers (Fusion, Parallels and Virtualbox) are, by my point of view, unacceptably slow also in 2D performance I think I'll abandome them for native installations.