To Parallels: did I buy useless product?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macgebruiker, Jun 6, 2006.

1. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

Nonsens! We are not talking about Windows only hardware. We are talking about hardware that is connected to and supported by OSX!

There is nothing special on USB. USB is more common and better defined than serial. Als there is no way to attach a serial device to an iMac! Also I know of no software of this type that does not support hardware.

As a closer let me quote from Parallels site: "mproved USB performance and broader device support". Also this is RC 2

I rest my case!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  2. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

nHand 42:
    You are accusing me of a lot of things I did NOT do! Get your own stuff in order before you start whining! You are completely misinformed. (and also very obnoxious).

As you say yourself: " They need to let us know once in a while that they are listening.". I haven't seen 1 reply from their side!!!!!!!

And if you had read my message seriously (instead of just writing down your whining) then you should have known that it was put as a question to Parallels and that I did state the problem was mentioned earlier (with details) and never got any feedback not even a receipt.

3. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

Tried the trick (from 384 Mb to 512 Mb). Ala, no solution. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

4. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

While my mullet comment was probably uncalled for, let's not start with racist comments.

5. Xabi

Xabi Bit poster

I think that Parallels is a good piece of software, and its performance is good. But I came here and bought Parallels because of the information that I can read in the Parallels webpage:

"It empowers users the ability to use Windows, Linux and any other operating system at the same time as Mac OS X, enabling users to enjoy the comfort of their Mac OS X desktop while still being able to use critical applications from other OSes."

"Improved USB performance and broader device support"

This is far away from "running some Windows apps". I believed that I could run my GPS Windows software along with my USB GPS receiver, and I can't do that. As I read in this forum, there is a lot of people suffering similar problems with USB devices. So, if the USB support is not improved, maybe Parallels will render useless for many people. I think that a lot of people will buy Parallels just for using their GPS receivers, webcams and some other devices badly supported in OS X.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  6. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Until USB is finalized, your GPS receiver may work using a USB to serial adapter. I did that with my Garmin 76CS and it works perfectly. I'm using MapSource software. Indeed, it works so well, that I'm able to put my Mac in my car, connect my 76CS to it, and have real-time updating done on my map as I travel down the road.

With the awesome display this MacBook has, not getting washed out in direct sunlight as my Dell laptop does, I have a superior map tracking product in the car.

Until Parallels came out, I just knew that I was going to have to search for a sunlight-viewable computer that was, no doubt, a Windows WinTel box. How delighted I am that is a Macintosh.

And, yes, GPS activities is the MAIN reason I have for Parallels. For me, everything else is just fluff for running Windows.

7. Xabi

Xabi Bit poster

Thank you very much for your suggestion, and I celebrate that you can give full use of your GPS in Parallels, but my Legend C is a only-USB receiver :(

8. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Bummer!!!!! Well, dang! I wish you could see this work. I used to make fun of having a 9600 rate serial port when USB was the main port. Never did dream that I would be using the serial port, but it works very well.

9. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

If you go to forums on HP, Microsoft, Epson you will see hundreds, thousands of people who have found that printers don't always work how they're supposed to...in certain circumstances, whilst Microsoft etc will give you official solutions, sometimes they have little idea too. I have done some support here so I can tell you it can be hell sometimes.
    You are having problems and are assuming it is because of Parallels. Perhaps so, but the chances that XP may be to blame too.
    You state that you have reported problems and that you have reported the problems to Parallels however as far as I can see you haven't really tried to use the forums....

10. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

Keep on dreaming, XP has no problems whatsoever with this printer neither on a real X86, nor using VPC!

No smart remarks on RC2? You really honor your nickname.

11. mike3k

mike3k Member

I'm able to print to my networked Brother MFC420CN, a Brother HL1440 connected to my Linux box, and an Epson C82 on my Airport Express (via Bonjour for Windows).

12. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

And, as I mentioned in an earlier message, the weird stuff can work. My 1220U Canon scanner stopped working a year or so ago. No more drivers for the Mac from Canon, and the drivers that I had no longer worked with the latest update of Windows XP.

Why the heck it works for Parallels, I have no idea. But, the scanner works just like it is supposed to---through the USB port! Of all things that shouldn't work, this one shouldn't. I have a feeling when the USB port code is 100% and working, that the scanner will die, but I sure am taking advantage of the situation now.

In defense of those complaining about the wayward USB code... I can understand. The issue is the Parallels works so well, that we get used to actually USING the product for real productivity. Being blocked by something like incomplete USB access due to the product being a pre-release can be irksome. That is why we gotta find other solutions, and remind ourselves that this is a pre-release product--a beta. It just ain't ready for release, yet.

13. dweebert

dweebert Member

I hate printers. I've yet to find an operating system on which I have no problems with printers. Various Unices, Windows, Mac -- it doesn't matter much. While the actual printing technology has advanced exponentially over the past several years, the connections between printers and computers seem almost to have gotten worse.

I view Parallels as a second computer that happens to share resources with my Mac, which happen to include memory and a CPU. From that point of view, network printer sharing is the only answer. I'm going to have to experiment when I get home tonight to see how printing from Parallels works for me, but given my past experiences printing from Windows it won't be a simple experiment.

14. netdog

netdog Hunter

My USB needs are actually met at the moment, but I do hope that Parallels understands that strong USB support is a must for release. They did understand that earlier in the development process, and said so (as quoted in a previous post).

Has Parallels said that they are going to release with USB in the sort of state that it is in now? I hope not, and I haven't read anything yet that says that they are going to rush to market with poor USB support.

Every piece of software development I have ever been involved with takes WAAYYYYYY longer to get to market than originally projected. Hopefully Parallels is going to get USB sorted before the final release, however long that may take. Have they said otherwise? I hope not. There are so many good things about this product, but poor USB support would be a killer.

15. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

If it is supported by OS X then use it in OS X natively and let Parallels handle sharing it into the VM. This is how RAM, disks, video, networking, sound, etc are all handled. Are you next going to get all pissy because you can't directly access the hard drive and must use an image file?

You CAN connect a serial device to an iMac. Just connect a USB to serial adapter and the serial port will appear in OS X no different htan a serial port built directly into an older Mac.

Your closer doesn't say anything about sharing USB devices as the basic USB device. If you cannot comprehend the given solutions, the go get a clue before coming back and whining about things not workiing the way thy aren't supossed to.

16. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

No worries. Its not out yet, but news of its coming is nothing new. Garmin announces Mac OS X support for GPS products http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html

17. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I already elsewhere stated that it does not work when used as a shared printer. If I select the printer thru "add printers, network, etc" then printing ends up with a BSOD. If I use Bonjour then the print is never printed!

And please don't be sarcastic if you only understand part of the problem! I'm not a child and very likely have lots more computing experience than you!

Could you start reading, p.l.e.a.s.e!!! Nowhere it is said that it is a serial printer! It is a USB printer! I never anywhere said anything about serial. may I suggest that you get your head clear before writing?

You go get lost and get a clue yourself.

Stupid Insulting Moronic Idiot!

18. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I have to jump in and say that:

a) Parallels is definitely NOT useless. I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY for development of software for biomedical machinery under WinXP.

b) The Parallels people have proven themselves to address problems at a rapid rate. I think patience will be required to get everything you desire working.

c) I think many people expect too much from Parallels. Frankly I still look at it as an "emulator" since Mac OS X is still the primary OS. By viewing it as an emulator I don't expect EVERYTHING that works in WinXP to work with it. I believe that is a safe view. I hope that Parallels proves me wrong one day with 100% compatibility. Based on that view I think many of you need to be realistic about what you expect from it. Also consider the price? $39... Most of you drop more than that for dinner on a Friday night which is forgotten by Saturday. Parallels keeps on working day after day.

d) I've worked with USB before. People consider USB to be the most wonderful thing ever invented and many manufacturors have hopped on the USB band wagon. There are MANY things I hate about USB:

1) Most compilers do not support USB development directly. You can buy any C++ compiler and start talking over a serial port or a TCP/IP connection within minutes. USB takes extra libraries, drivers and a ton of work at times.

2) USB goes out of its way to be "plug and play". This is one place where the idiot proofing sometimes causes more problems than it's worth. Every time a USB printer is plugged in it goes through an automatic processes to see if it has been installed before. Sometimes just plugging into a different port makes it reinstall the driver and you end up with "printer2" then "printer3" etc.

3) USB is great for connecting something to your desktop. But what if you want to be removed from the device. USB is limited to about 15 feet of cable without active extenders. TCP/IP on the other hand can go wireless and will work around the world. I MUCH prefer TCP/IP devices. More flexible, easier to support and the ways you can interface to them are limitless almost.

So expecting Parallels to have USB 2.0 support working 100% at this stage of the game is unrealistic. I think having USB support at all is a monumental untaking and I congratulate them on the progress thus far.

Come to reality and give them a chance to get things working. But don't ever call it a useless product. The dictionary definition of "useless" is "Without function". Many many of us use Parallels with great success every today.

19. kpop

kpop Member

Try a generic PS driver. And relax.

Please calm down. Check that when installing your printer in XP with Bonjour that you select a generic PS (postscript) printer driver, NOT your Epson driver (which won't work). E.g. one of the Apple Color Laserwriter PS drivers worked for my USB HP Laserjet 2600n. It is PS that is transferred to OS X side, which will then send it your printer and gets correctly interpreted and printed with the correct driver in OS X. Try it, it will work, you may have to test a few PS drivers. When you get it working, please post the solution here for reference.

For more info, google on bonjour printer sharing. Best of luck.

kpop

Ps. me likes Parallels mucho

20. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

You truly are a GENIUS!

By selecting an Apple printer I indeed got it working! It is not 100% correct but it can be used for the time being until it all works like it should. Tomorrow (it's 00:23 here) I will try different PS drivers. Will let you know the result

Once again, thanks for this great idea!

So do I!

If I didn't like (the concept of) Parallels I wouldn't have invested all the time that I did. I love the philosophy behind it, also because things like simulation / emulation and the like are a professional hobby of mine.