Parallels Tools for Solaris?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by schwartz, Nov 20, 2007.

1. schwartz

schwartz Member

This thread was moved from "Parallels Desktop for Mac > Other Guest OS Types Discussion".
    Alicia

Any chance we'll see a Parallels tools for Solaris? Would be nice to have the dynamic screen resizing offered in the linux tools under my Solaris session as well as the better mouse function.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  2. jamgold

jamgold Bit poster

I am interested in this as well (mainly responding to subscribe to this thread)

3. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

We don't have Tools for Solaris on our short-term plans (i.e. for the nearest updates) unfortunately, but it may be added to our roadmap depending on customer requests. So your feedback in this thread is quite important to us for considering adding this feature :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  4. calum

calum Bit poster

All I can add is that it was lack of Parallels Tools for Solaris that made me switch to VMware Fusion. (And so far, it's been working so well that I've had no need to switch back....)

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. wyndsayl

wyndsayl Bit poster

Another vote

I was unaware that vmware had those options. I'll have to look at that.

7. jamgold

jamgold Bit poster

So I guess judging by the feedback in this forum (topic) there is not enough customer demand and there will be no Parallels Tools for Solaris in the near future?

How about releasing the source for the linux drivers so someone in the community can do the job?

8. Carcarius

Carcarius Bit poster

Solaris Tools support

I would like see this on a development roadmap for Parallels. I plan to use my Solaris 10 VM much more in the future.

Thanks,

Heath

9. adsm

adsm Bit poster

That would be great

Parallels tools for Solaris would be a great help to me.

10. tim-e

tim-e Junior Member

I too would benefit greatly from a financial perspective. I keep slamming my mouse against the desk when shifting my attention from my Solaris machine to my desktop. I'm on my third (not as Mighty as they say) mouse in 12 months.

11. jamgold

jamgold Bit poster

Any feedback from Parallels on this? Where is the roadmap?

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Ok, let us see user demands
    and what is actually prefered
    Solaris on Parallels Desktop or in Parallels Server?

13. jamgold

jamgold Bit poster

I am having a hard time to understand this wait-and-see position; considering that VMware Fusion and Sun's own VisrtualBox (free) has this feature already, as does Parallels for Linux guests, I wonder why it is so hard for Parallels to duplicate this.

14. rdebula

rdebula Bit poster

Desktop

I'd like to see Parallels tools primarily for Parallels Desktop myself. We have a lab situation where we could potentially drop in a bunch of Apple hardware (to take the place of aging Dell Windows PCs and Sun boxes) in and thereby decomission some aging Suns. This would allow us to offer students MacOS X, XP, and Solaris x86 on one piece of hardware. But lack of Parallels Tools would might force us to look at VMware Fusion if we go that route.

15. sparker

sparker Member

Parallels Tools

I'd agree with the request for Parallels Tools in a Solaris 10 environment. I'd like to be able to run everything under Parallels, rather than having to run my Solaris environment under VMWare (and shut down the other parallels machines while I do this, since I can't run them both at the same time).

Thanks,.

Steve

16. Leonard

Leonard Member

Add me to the list of folks looking for Parallels Tools support for Solaris in PD.

17. xkrama

xkrama Bit poster

Hi there, its been a year now and solaris support is still incomplete and 1 year is a bit too long for a simple port of existing linux tools.

At the very minimum can we expect a time sync daemon for solaris/opensolaris?

In case there are no updates planned, could you at least point me to some SDK (or API) that I can use to write my own time sync? (NTP is not an option for me. Most of the times I won't even have an external network).

Thanks.

18. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can take a look at Parallels Servers, SDK is available for it

19. smackdaddy

smackdaddy Bit poster

Add me to the list of users

You can add me to the list. VMware fusion may have to be my next stop.

20. Roth

Roth Bit poster

I'd also like to request Solaris and FreeBSD Tools support