Self-assigned IP and Cisco

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by cortig, Sep 12, 2008.

?

Slef-assigned IP and Cisco VPN client

1. I have the problem but not the VPN client

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have the problem and the Cisco VPN client

100.0%
  3. I have the latest version of the VPN client but no problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cortig

cortig Member

Hi All,

I was having difficulties connecting to a network in Parallels. The Parallels virtual interfaces were mentioning self-assigned IP, a clear sign that a proper IP could not be negotiated.
    I tried all the suggestions mentioned in this forum with fairly poor success and discovered something lately. If I uninstall the Cisco VPN client from my Mac (manually - not fun!), and reboot, the problem is gone.
    I'm wondering if it's just pure luck or if a bad interaction with the Cisco VPN client could indeed be the root of the problem.
    Does anybody with the same Self-assigned IP problem also have the Cisco client installed??

Corentin

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. cortig

cortig Member

Of Parallels or the Cisco client??
    I'm using the latest versions that I know of: 5608.0 and 4.9.01 (0100) respectively. I saw a brief mention of a beta for Parallels 4.0 on MacUpdate, but it almost immediately disappeared (and I could never download it).

I saw the other thread (and even posted in it) but haven't had a chance to test the workaround that was mentioned there (since I don't have the problem anymore).

4. cortig

cortig Member

Well I made the test.
    I reinstalled the Cisco client and tried playing with the Network range options. I wasn't able to connect (Host-guest was getting a proper IP in the System prefs but NAT wasn't —*I couldn't connect no matter what setting).

I therefore re-uninstalled the Cisco client…*and still wasn't able to connect. Playing around with network range in the preferences allowed both the Host-guest and the NAT interface to get proper IP addresses, but through XP, I still couldn't connect.
    It looks like it goes deeper than that :-(

5. John@Parallels

Are Parallels Adapters still having 169.254x.x. IP addresses?

6. cortig

cortig Member

No, they were getting proper 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses.

7. John@Parallels

Do you mean you are using Bridged Ethernet in VM?