Solaris 10 network

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by schwartz, Apr 11, 2006.

1. schwartz

schwartz Member

Has anyone gotten the network to work for Solaris 10 or even CentOS 4.3 (redhat enterprise) for that matter?

If I can get those two working solidly parallels will be worth the $50 to me.

Also, is or will there be a way to have the parallels session use a private subnet like you can do with vmware instead of it getting an IP from your main network?

Couple reasons I ask. Some places you can only get 1 real IP. Also when I VPN in to work I'd currently need to VPN in both my Mac OS X session and my WIndows XP session. The problem is I can only login to the vpn concentrator once. If the Windows and other OS's were nat'd behind the Mac then they'd all get the main routes from the Mac and the one VPN login would work for them all.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. teatimetim

teatimetim Bit poster

Moin,

Did you get the networking set up in Solaris?
    I am still coping with that.

About your problem: Would it be an option to you to use a proxy installed on your host system?

Greetings,
    Tim

3. lasse@christiansens.net

lasse@christiansens.net Member

I've had CentOS 4.2 to work while using host only networking. If i enabled bridging (to en2) it does not work at all.

So probably similar issues ....

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

More sol 10 stuff

I haven't gotten past the install on a MBP core duo. The DVD starts up and goes through all the identification steps ok, but can't find the disk to lay out the slices. XP's working fine.

dp

5. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Have you created a solaris partition ( not the same as slices! )? When PW creates the disk, there is no partition for Solaris to use. Once that's done, it will let you modify the disk layout.

6. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

What happened when you installed the network driver from the Parallel Tools?

7. strike

strike Bit poster

maybe i am blind, but where do i find the parallels tools ? i am looking for a realtek driver for solaris

cheers
    Strike

8. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

The realtek driver is included in the tools. The ISO should be included as part of the PW install. I mounted it as the CD, and followed the instructions in the solaris directory.

9. thebutch

thebutch Bit poster

For guys like me who like clear recipes, not blahblah:

With your Solaris VM booted in Parallels:
    - In the menu, choose Devices --> CD/DVD-ROM --> Connect Image...
    - Browse to /Library/Parallels/Tools and choose vmtools.iso as the CD image
    The CD image should be mounted from there, so, in your VM, type:
    cd /cdrom/prltools/drivers/network/rtl8029/solaris
    ./network.sh
    - Answer the question
    - Reboot

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  10. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

11. carlmuck

carlmuck Bit poster

Ok, done that, but I've only got a loopback interface, no ni0 (which i expected).

did you do anything else?

c.

12. simon

simon Member

Works for me

Solaris 10 install went flawlessly, you have to go back and forth slightly in order to partition the disk but other than that no trouble at all.

I installed the realtek driver, that worked right away on a wired network, but as usual (same with linux) it doesn't seem to work on a wireless network.

I also used X.org instead of Sun's X. I couldn't get the PS2 mouse to work correctly under Sun's X.
    X.org works very well though.