USB bus problem when running Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by skeedatl, Sep 16, 2008.

1. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

Starting a few weeks ago (not tied to any update) my Mac Pro behaves as if all the USB devices were unplugged and plugged back in (in the host OS, not the VM). When it acts like everything gets plugged back in I get all the popup windows asking if I want to use these USB devices in the VM. I say no to everything and within 10 or 15 minutes it happens again.

It seems to happen more frequently if my iPhone is in it's dock (connected to the host OS) or my Logitech webcam connected in the VM.

My setup is

Mac Pro Quad 3GHz
    Leo 10.5.5
    16GB FBDIMM X1900XT 2x 1TB HDD
    Parallels build 5608
    VM is Win XP Pro SP3 given 1GB RAM and 32MB video

USB devices connected to the host include
    Apple Al KB and Logitech trackball
    Brother HL-5240 Laser
    CanoScan 4400F scanner
    iPhone 2.5G
    30GB iPod
    2 Staples brand USB hubs

USB devices being used by the VM
    Logitech Fusion webcam

It doesn't seem to matter if I remove the hubs or the majority of the devices or not. The only commonality seems to be it happens when running Parallels.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In Configuration Manager-USB Controller 1- Connection Options - select Connect to Guest OS

3. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

I don't have a problem connecting USB devices to the guest and when the problem happens I don't want all these reconnecting USB devices to be automatically connected to the guest OS.

My problem is when running parallels, I momentarily lose my entire USB bus in the HOST OS, as if all my USB cables had been unplugged and plugged back in and it seem to happen at random times. It doesn't matter if the USB device is connected to the host or guest OS...ALL USB devices are momentarily disconnected from OS X as if they were physically unplugged. It seems to occur more often with higher bandwidth or bus powered devices connected like my iPhone and webcams.

If I close Parallels the problem does not occur.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

YES! i seem to have the same problem from time to time, but generally parallels just crashes for me. just happened again. i had a usb drive plugged into parallels / windows xp and was copying data. then parallels just goes away totally crashes.

from console.log:

9/17/08 12:53:38 PM [0x0-0x83083].com.parallels.desktop[1548] Parallels Desktop 3.0 critical error! Send log file ( /Library/Parallels/bugreports/parallels-fault-125338.170808.1548.log ) to reports@parallels.com

and from the parallels-fault...log file:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac OS X version 3.0 Build 5608.0 from 2008-06-09
    Received SIGBUS: Bus error
    Access to fault address: 0x48
    unknown signal sender: 2

5. John@Parallels

In Configuration Editor-USB Controller 1- Connection options select Connect to Mac OS

6. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

his problem is not that he doesn't know how to connect a usb device, the problem is that from time to time parallels "lets go" of the usb device(s) and it pops back into OS X. it's like someone comes along and jerks all of the USB plugs out of the computer.

**problem** is the operative word here. there is a problem that should be looked into. my suggestion, skeed, would be to send a bug report to reports@parallels.com with some relevant portions of your console.log and look in \Library\Parallels\bugreports\ for a file called parallels-fault-{something else here}.log and send that with your e-mail.

7. John@Parallels

By the way, is device connecting through USB hub?

8. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

i obviously can not speak for skeed, but for me the latest usb device is connected through the cinema display's usb connection so in a way yes it is connected through a hub but not necessarily an external hub but not an external hub that can have the power pulled without a noticeable effect - notably the loss of power to the display.

i have had this problem though when connected directly to the port on the computer.

(and i should note the problem occurs when connected to either my macbook or my imac)

9. John@Parallels

Yep, it is , try to connect device directly to Mac or Macbook, avoiding, Cinema hub

10. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

"Yep, it is" what?

As I said in my post the problem occurs whether the devices are plugged into the cinema display or directly into the usb port on the computer. It also occurs whether I am using the MacBook or the iMac.

The problem is intermittent so as to all of the problems parallels has, I would put this on the lower end of the priority list. I generally do not plug any usb devices into parallels.

11. John@Parallels

Let summarize:
    1. Set devices connect to Mac OS in USB Controller connection settings
    2. Connect devices directly to Mac, as "Yes, it is" - related to Cinema USB hub functionality

In this case , I think, you will not see such disconnection, if it still here, I suppose either Parallels Desktop installation is corrupted, or there are USB hub problems , on both Macs, and Cinema display hub.

Also, what USB devices are you using? - model, url