Enable Hibernate with Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by magir, Jul 15, 2008.

1. magir

magir Bit poster

From what I understand, there are no technical reasons, why neither snapspots nor hibernate works, when Parallel is used with a Boot Camp partition. Am I correct?

It was merely disabled to prevent any problems, when a the user boots the Boot Camp partition directly or modifies important files while it was in the hibernate/snapshot state.

Is there a workaround to this limitation? I don't boot my partition via Boot Camp and would be _very_ happy to regain the snapshot functionality in order to quit and restart parallels immediately without shutting down and booting Windows.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Actually there are.
    In theory it is possible, I will try to clarify , is it internally classified, if not I will reply with more details

3. magir

magir Bit poster

Although your post suggested that you wouldn't reply, if the information is classified, I thought I'd ask if this is really the case or you simply didn't have the time to ask. I'm still very much interested in regaining some type of hibernation functionality for bootcamp-parallels installations.

4. John@Parallels

we included your suggestion as feature request,

5. magir

magir Bit poster

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad you accepted that suggestion!

Does it imply, that it won't be added to Parallels 2.5 but only 3.0 or even only after that?

Can I apply some kind of (registry) patch to enable it temporarily?

6. John@Parallels

in 2.5 it won't be added, we are checking possibility for 3 and 4

7. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

Any news on the possibility of hibernating a boot camp partition when using it via parallels?

8. John@Parallels

There is still no clear decision, I will update thread if there are any news