Parallels tools never initializes

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by FlatDog, Sep 16, 2008.

1. FlatDog

FlatDog Member

I'm running 10.5.4, Parallels build 5608. (although I've had this issue in prior versions as well)

I boot up my Mac, start Parallels (which boot XP SP3 from a boot camp partition). And get the message on the screen to not do anything until the tools initialize. I can leave the machine running for 2hrs and still nothing. Every time this happens, the message never goes away. How do I fix this?

thanks.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I suggest you to perform following steps

in Configuration Editor - Hard Disk 1 - Advanced - click Clear.
    Note: You need to activate Windows again.

But if you have antivirus this may cause such slowdown, try to disable antivirus and check

3. FlatDog

FlatDog Member

I'm not disabling anti virus, and even if I wanted to my company has not given me permissions to do so. but slowdown = 2hr+ wiat and still not finished?!

I'll try what you suggest on the clear and let you know what happens.

4. John@Parallels

The problem is that some antivirus may slowdown significantly Parallels Tools installation, and even stop installation

5. FlatDog

FlatDog Member

The "clear" option didn't solve the problem.

6. John@Parallels

So, it is antivirus

7. FlatDog

FlatDog Member

I don't mean to be a pain but what evidence is there of this? What are the tools doing that could possibly be stopped by Anti-virus software? Don't you want some logs / data to investigate before coming up with a completely random response like that? Everyone these days has AV on their machines.

8. John@Parallels

Parallels Desktop in Boot Camp VM, puts Parallels Tools every time when you start VM, and removes them when you shutdown VM
    Antivirus may prevent or slowdown this operation