Hard freezes still happen with Location change (in beta too?)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Aug 3, 2007.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

Since I guess my old posts got put in the archive and can't be replied to, I'm starting this discussion again:

http://forums.parallels.com/thread12489.html

Even with the latest build (4560), Parallels takes down my MBP if I switch my location. I have not confirmed the workaround given to take focus away from Parallels before changing locations, but I don't think that works. Since I'm actually using Parallels to get work done, I'm afraid to try this out in the new beta, so I'd be most interested to hear if the bug is *still* around after it was acknowledged by Parallels 4 months ago (my original post was in April).

Steve

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

What is the difference between your home and automatic network settings?

Also how did you configure your windows, is it bridged, NAT, shared?

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Airport at home, ethernet at work.
    No proxies at home, proxies at work.
    Parallels using bridged networking since I need a work IP address at work.

Steve

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Haven't done that, but here are a couple of suggestions. I'm guessing you sleep your Mac before moving from the house to work?

1st test - Make sure you disabled the windows network adapter before leaving for the other site. Re-enable after the switch on the network preferences.

2nd test - Disable the Parallel virtual network adapters before leaving for the other site. Re-enable after the switch on the network preferences.

3rd test - Pause the Parallel machine before leaving for the other site.

Report if you have tried any one of these.

5. strells

strells Product Expert

I have tried test 3 in the past and this did not help. As I stated, Parallels has acknowledged that this is a bug. I'm wondering if it's still present in the beta.

Steve

6. strells

strells Product Expert

Anybody tried 5120 see this problem?

Steve

7. naven87

naven87 Bit poster

Still see it in 5160

I have still seen this crash in 5160. I haven't done a lot of detailed checking for fear of corrupting my bootcamp install, but what seems to work is disconnect parallels network connection. Select a Mac app, then change location. Finally go back and re-connect the Parallels location. I will still shutdown parallels when possible to make sure I don't get a crash.

8. strells

strells Product Expert

I just don't do it anymore. I use Airport at home and Ethernet at work. That way, it's like having two sets of settings in one Location. I haven't updated to Leopard or the new beta yet, but even if I did, I'm scared to test this.

Steve

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  9. jcmccain

jcmccain Bit poster

Still Happens in build 5600

Hi,
    I've been having this issue for a /long/ time up to build 5600. I put my mac to sleep often, but that's not necessarily related. For instance, I have two locations: One with AppleTalk active on my Ethernet port, one with it active on my Airport. I came into the office today and started working in XP on Parallels and realized I wanted AppleTalk on the other connection. I forgot to switch focus away from Parallels (which I have found DOES avoid the crash) before switching locations. Parallels immediately hung require a force quit. The only difference between my two location profiles is the adapter that AppleTalk is active on. I have other locations that I switch between too and it ALWAYS crashes Parallels if I don't switch focus.

Since that last crashed hosed my virtual HD (see my next post:-( ), I'll be trying this with a fresh Windows install now.

Here's to getting this resolved soon!
    Jesse

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Can you please try to disable Windows power management?

11. jcmccain

jcmccain Bit poster

No Dice

Hi,
    I turned off power management (APM off, Disk and Screen sleep set to Off) and managed to avoid switching profiles for 3 months (not fond of intentionally crashing Windows). However, I switched profiles today just to see if the change fixed anything. It did not.
    Any further suggestions?
    Thanks
    Jesse

12. John@Parallels

Could you please provide as much details as possible, I try to reproduce.
    How locations are configured?
    Is Parallels Desktop in focus when you switch locations?

13. jcmccain

jcmccain Bit poster

I have two identical profiles except: "One with AppleTalk active on my Ethernet port, one with it active on my Airport." This only occurs when Parallels is in focus. Switching to another app before changing locations avoids the problem.
    Jesse

14. naven87

naven87 Bit poster

No freeze if parallels does not have focus

I have been running Parallels and OS X pretty much continuously together for the last eight months. I have found that the only 100% reliable way not to cause Parallels to hang while changing locations is to make sure a MAC OSX application has focus when I change locations. If I do that, everything is fine, if any Windows apps have it, then guaranteed parallels will hang.

15. AaronH

AaronH Bit poster

I can confirm that this works for me too. I haven't noticed any crashes when Parallels (or one of its Coherence windows) is not the active application.

16. John@Parallels

Thanks everyone,
    I reproduced situation, just push me again in 2-3 days, I need to submit problem