Windows XP steals CD drive...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by nabu, Sep 20, 2008.

1. nabu

nabu Bit poster

Parallels 3/5608
    MacBook 10.5.5, 4gb ram/320gb hd

All is working well, but when I launch WinXP, it steals the CD drive from the Mac! Even when something's playing in the drive on the Mac side such as a music cd.

Go over to Windows and the usual choice box is up when one inserts a CD in a Win system (asking user to select action to take on the newly noticed CD!).

How can I fix this?

Thx,
    Gary

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

From status bar in Parallels Desktop window, clicm cd icon and select disconnect before inserting CD on Mac OS side

3. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Bit poster

4. nabu

nabu Bit poster

Thanks, but I was hoping there was a cure rather than an annoying, "hope I remember to turn off the cd" solution. Plus, I envision having to go back and forth between Mac and XP needing to use the CD in both environments.

Does this mean I simply have to "connect" the cd on the xp side when I need it there, and disconnect when I need it on the mac side?

Hope this is on the list of future fixes. But thanks for the tip.

Gary

5. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Bit poster

I don't really look at this as a bug. Only one operating system can control the hardware, in this case CD Drive, at a time. Since you are running two OS's you have to make a decision which OS to give it to, and when Parallels is running, it is simply clicking the CD icon and choosing connect or disconnect, whatever you desire. Hope this helps in understanding. John

6. nabu

nabu Bit poster

Yea, I agree...but one doesn't have this issue with mouse, printer, hard drive (imagine what that would be like), etc...but I do see this with USB devices, so it's somewhat selective. I can live with the dropdown on/off solution. Thanks.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Only Mouse and Keyboard are fully transparent , other devices are not, and mouse and keyboard are transparent with limited functionality, only basic ps/2 mouse and PC104 keyboard

8. nabu

nabu Bit poster

I have had success with a USB trackball mouse and USB keyboard (the Apple extended keyboard) so far. Seems to work fined in XP, and I don't lose it on the Mac side. I flip back and forth between the two OSs constantly as well.