Copy Virtual Machine from iMac to Macbook

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bamagambler, May 14, 2008.

1. bamagambler

bamagambler Bit poster

I have a virtual machine setup on my iMac just like I want with all the right apps installed. I tried to copy that folder from my iMac to my Macbook to run the same virtual machine, but the mouse and keyboard didn't work. Is there a way to copy a virtual machine from one Mac to another? Or do I have to set it all up on the new Mac?

2. bamagambler

bamagambler Bit poster

Never mind. I got it to work.

3. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

I see that you got it to work. I have an iMac and will be getting a MacBook - If I install Parallels (with its separate license) can I just copy the virtual machine file and that's it? or will it require a new activation and mods to setups. Do I need a separate WIN XP Pro license (I have an extra one anyway).?

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Each Windows Installation (on real PC or in VM) requires separate license

5. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

OK - License is the easy part, after I install a new copy on the macbook, Can I just then simply copy my Virtual machine from my iMac? (I do have a spare new XP Pro license)

Thanks

6. John@Parallels

Just copy VM folder from one Mac to another (if you copy to another user folder please start Parallels Desktop on new Mac holding Command and adjust path to hdd file)

7. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

what is the point in editing the config file? i've never done this. on my imac my windows files are on a separate drive for parallels in a parallels folder so my xp vm is located in :
    /Volumes/My Book/Parallels/Windows XP/winxp.hdd

but on my macbook they are located in the documents directory. so the same hdd file is located at:
    /Users/tonycarreon/Documents/Parallels/Windows XP/winxp.hdd

i just copy the Windows XP folder from one location to another and have never edited the config file to point to the xp hdd. it just always seems to point to the correct location.

8. John@Parallels

No need to edit just point to new location, clicking ... button