Ubuntu 8.04 issues

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by oswaler, Jun 11, 2008.

1. oswaler

oswaler Member

I have a VM set up with Ubuntu 8.04. 2 questions:

1) When I do shut down, the yellow bar "counts down" until it is all black. Then it just sits there. The VM doesn't stop itself. I have to give a manual command to shut down the VM at that point. Is this normal?

2) If I try to assign more than 256 MB of RAM to the Ubuntu VM, it will load partially then hang. If I set the RAM to 256 it loads fine. Is there a max amount of RAM that Ubuntu can handle?

Thanks - Eric

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We noticed that problem too, new build (not 5608) will be available soon
    As for memory, try to use ctl+alt+F1 in VM, to check what is going behind, perhaps it will give you some information

3. Pariahware

Pariahware Junior Member

My Ubuntu installs have always had this problem. However, 8.04 gives me an interestingly new problem: All of my left-clicks are DOUBLE-CLICKS. It is extremely difficult to navigate. Is there a workaround for this?

4. John@Parallels

We are aware about this problem, and new build will be ready at the end of June

5. NickK1066

NickK1066 Junior Member

Hmm I give kubuntu 8.04 (kde 3.5 brew) 2GB and it seems fine. Have you tried a natural to-the-power-two number such as 512MB?

6. janitor

janitor Junior Member

Also having the shutdown problem with ubuntu 8.04 and parallells for mac 3.0 build 5608. Any idea when a fix for this will be available.

7. John@Parallels

8. janitor

janitor Junior Member

Don't know if it helps but have installed 8.04 on virtual box and it has the same problem on there too, well actually it was worse on there.

9. John@Parallels

Did you try build 5624?

10. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

Build 5624 ? Is it available to public or Beta testers ? I have 5608 right now.

11. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

(K)ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Issues

Just here to list some issues of mine using Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.

I.) Won't close by itself on shuting down (you guys already know about that one)

II.) Won't get an ip address with stock software. I have to login and type 'sudo dhclient eth0' so it gets an IP address. The KDE network manager isn't doing its job. I really don't know if it is a Parallels or Kubuntu issue.

III.) Can't install the Parallels Desktop's tools. I get a 'Installation for xorg version 1.4.0 not found' message. (see screen capture for other details)

IV.) The network connection breaks or stops often (this is also happening on Windows virtual machines) my simple workaround is to set a static IP address. If I use the usual automatic DHCP setting than I know I can't start downloading something big because it will stop in the middle.

Attached Files:

12. John@Parallels

13. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

Unfortunately my product key is not working anymore with that version. Is it because I purchased à french version? I had a working build 5608.

14. John@Parallels

Yes, it is English version, I am trying to clarify situation now

15. bbranch

bbranch Junior Member

More issues

I liked the thread title so I wanted to use it :) However, I have a few issues that I couldn't find addressed (some or all my be specific to how I set up my VM?)...

1. USB thumbdrives do not seem to be recognized (even after turning on USB HUb controller in VM options). I see them connected in the devices list, but Ubuntu doesn't see them at all (df, mount, etc.)

2. Lack of Shared Folders (with Mac OS)

3. Already listed, it doesn't finish the shutdown

16. John@Parallels

17. bbranch

bbranch Junior Member

Thanks John, but...

1. Same install of Ubuntu outside of Parallels, the following from the page you linked to is true. Inside the VM it is not:
    Since the behaviour is different, I think the VM must be doing something different in term of seeing the device (and there is no option for USB storage devices in the preferences pane listed on that page to change the behaviour of automounting USB disks).

2. Further evidence that all is not well with the drive attaching in the VM is the following:
    a. I can see the device in the VM now with the lsusb command, but
    b. It does not show up in fdisk -l
    c. ls /dev/sd* gives results that are limited to partitions on the primary (virtual) drive

18. bbranch

bbranch Junior Member

Oh, and can I add numbers 4, 5, and 6 to my list? Not as big of showstoppers (for me, neither is #3), but annoying nonetheless:

4. No shared clipboard (can't copy text in the Ubuntu VM and paste it in OSX or the Windows VM - I did mention I was running two simultaneous VM's right? Which is way cool BTW)

5. Can't drag/drop files to/from the Ubuntu VM

6. Above two items are probably related to the fact that the security setting/option is forced to high.

I was hoping that I would get essentially the same features and abilities for interaction with Ubuntu that I get with Windows...

19. appleguy

appleguy Bit poster

Since no one has responded to my original posting of this message, I am reposting this under this discussion topic. Hopefully Parallels tech support is aware of this and is working on a resolution to this. A workaround would be nice too.

=== Here is the original post ===

John, any ideas on KDE4 support? The problem can be easily reproduced just install Kubuntu 8.04 and install Parallel Tools. The reason I think this is a bug in Parallels Tools (5624) is because if I uninstall Parallels Tools I can login to KDE4 without any problem. Of course, I won't be able to use any of the nice features that Parallels Tools offers.

20. John@Parallels

I am looking into problem, and I didn't forget it