RC2 = no DHCP ??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bmelnick, May 31, 2006.

1. bmelnick

bmelnick Bit poster

Hi all,

Installed RC2 today .. and now my bridged network support doesn't work with DHCP. I have to assign an IP address to the Guest OS (XP Pro SP2) in order to access my airport ....

Things I've checked:
    1. Installed new version of Parallel Tools
    2. Made sure I'm using Bridged and Airport
    3. Made sure I have internet access through host (osx 10.4.6)
    4. Made sure I haven't changed any of my home network settings.

Anybody else with same problems?

Blue

2. milomindrbindr

milomindrbindr Bit poster

same here. this was supposedly fixed in RC2, but alas is not working. Anyone else thinking these releases seem a little premature? Seems we go two steps ahead in one respect and three steps back in others.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  3. bmelnick

bmelnick Bit poster

Hi all,

Ok ... tried uninstalling parallel tools, then parallels .... then reinstalling both ... still no dhcp support .... very disapointing seing as this has worked fine since at least Beta 3.

Blue

4. steve3

steve3 Member

Interestingly, my Win2K VM can get an address from my DHCP server over WiFi, and my WinXP can't.

They're both Bridged Ethernet, default adapter.

5. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

I've never had a problem with DHCP and Bridged Ethernet under Win2K. I've seen many threads with issues under WinXP though. Strange. I think I will stick with Win2K.

6. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

I've got no problems with DHCP under XP Home. I did establish a MAC address that was entered into our router's filtering program.

7. snit

snit Member

DHCP has always worked for me, but has always freaked out on occasion, giving me 1-2 minute periods where I have no connectivity. Sometimes it happens quite frequently.

The work-around I've been using since more or less day one is to use connection sharing, and tell Parallels to use the connection that isn't the main connection. The only problem with this solution is that if I go to a hotel where I have to plug in to the wired interface (happens often), then I have to reboot the VM to change the network interface. Honestly, you should be able to do this on-the-fly from the tool thingys in the bottom right corner!

8. vamp07

vamp07 Member

RC2 appears to have fixed my DHCP problems.

9. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

It works here in XP an linux. It does not work well in Solaris 10. In Solaris 10 I have to specify other than "Default Adapter" to make it work.

10. Dubliner

Dubliner Bit poster

Airport works in XP

Installed XP while Airport wasn't active. Later, when in Airport friendly zone, network didn't work. Closed XP, ensured network adaptor (Parallels) was set to Airport, booted XP, set XP network settings to LAN, and everything works. Excellent !

11. jim_az

jim_az Bit poster

Just installed OpenBSD 3.9 as a guest on a MacBook. DHCP via AirPort doesn't recieve any IP address, but it works using the standard ethernet port...

This is using RC2.

Jim

12. sdfjkl

sdfjkl Bit poster

DHCP (RC2 bridged, Airport, on a Macbook Pro) works in Windows guests (2003 SP1 and XP SP2) but not in Linux 2.6, NetBSD 3.0 or FreeBSD (FreeNAS) ones. Networking works fine with manually assigned addresses though.

13. jim_az

jim_az Bit poster

Ok, I guess I'm just stupid. I didn't notice until now that in the configuration editor you have to specifically choose which network adapter to use in the VM for bridged networking (Airport or Ethernet). I guess my problem doesn't really exist - unfortunately my router just died on me so I can't verify this...

Jim

14. John Martinez

John Martinez Bit poster

FreeBSD doesn't work for me either

I set it up with DHCP and my MacBook is on AirPort.

I'll try the ethernet adapter next.

It does work when I manually set the address withing FreeBSD, though.