OS Collection gaps (NeXT, gentoo, Xen not working) in RC2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dylanjames, Jun 8, 2006.

1. dylanjames

dylanjames Junior Member

I am 100% aware that the primary goal of most Parallels users is seamless Windows XP support.

I'm in the non-zero minority of users who really want to use Parallels to finally play with a pile of x86 OS's at hardware speeds (woohoo! VPC is great, but not nearly as fast as these Intel macs of ours.) Various flavors of Windows and Linux work absolutely great.

Right now I'm having problems with gentoo (building from source reliably crashes about 3/4ths the way through).

I'm also having problems with NeXTStep - (as previous users have reported -- crashes before even accessing the CDROM).

Finally, I'm having problems with Xen 3. The TestCD with a previous release of Parallels reported no errors, but it does fail with RC2. Even with the version where the TestCD succeeded, the LiveCD wouldn't load a DomU for me -- often crashing the Parallels application.

If anyone else (Amit Singh?) is into collecting OS virtual images with Parallels, please chime in!

Alternatively, if any of you have had better luck with any of these OS's please let me know how.

thanks!
    dylan

2. Jisi

Jisi Member

I also had no success with
    - ReactOS
    - Syllable
    - Belenix (OpenSolaris Live CD)

but I haven't complained so far, because I just tried them out of curiosity :)

3. watersb

watersb Bit poster

I've been able to build Gentoo no problem. I have a working base system, with modular X11 7.0...

Well, problem: I can't figure out the proper xorg.conf incantation to get a working display. I've read about it on the forums here and on Gentoo's forums.

I used the hardened profile and mm-sources. Rather bleeding edge. No real problems aside from X configuration.

I've used Genoo for a long time. What didn't compile?

4. efoo

efoo Bit poster

Hi, I've been trying to install Gentoo within a VM on Parallels on Mac, but keep failing at step 2: getting the network configuration to work. Tried all network settings in VM (bridged+default, bridged+airport, host only networking, host only networkin with shared internet access). Wonder how you overcame that.

I'm using MBP 17", accessing internet wirelessly.

Thanks for any info provided.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  5. jim_az

jim_az Bit poster

I got Haiku and OpenBSD 3.9 running great in fullscreen on my MacBook which is all I care about right now. I'm interested to hear if anyone got SkyOS working, though (I'm not yet a paying beta tester).

Jim

6. NoDamage

NoDamage Bit poster

I've gotten Gentoo installed and working perfectly fine on the Macbook. I've actually done it twice, on RC1 and RC2 without any issues.

I got X11 7.0 working in fullscreen by using the modeline generator from here. Generate the modeline for your custom resolution, add it to the "Monitor" section of xorg.conf, then add your resolution to the "Screen" section with color depth 16, and add the custom resolution to the Parallels VM options.

There is a known issue with using a bridged wireless network and DHCP under Linux, but you can either configure the settings manually, or use host only networking with the shared connection to get it working. Both options worked fine for me.

7. sdfjkl

sdfjkl Bit poster

• FreeNAS: works fine, except DHCP
    • NetBSD 3.0: works fine, except DHCP
    • BSD/OS derivate: crashes Parallels (crashreports submitted), when disabling VT-x and acceleration the installer CD boots (only when CD-ROM is set to IDE 1:0). Crashes Parallels when trying to partition the harddisk (both expanding and non).
    • FreeDOS: works ok, although there were some strange problems accessing the harddisk after formatting and rebooting (possibly FreeDOS bug)

8. Jisi

Jisi Member

Apart from mainstream stuff like Haiku :) I'm happy to report that HelenOS

http://www.helenos.eu/

runs fine. Not that you can do anything with it as it is :)

9. efoo

efoo Bit poster

Tried and it worked. thanks.