How to: Resolve trouble between Parallels and Windows under Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bulletproof, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Roehl

Roehl Bit poster

So let me get this correctly. If I basically follow section 1 on the instruction, with the latest parallel update 5608, I won't encounter any problems? Or it is not worth it?

Right now I have parallels running with XP. I wanted to run XP on just Boot Camp alone without Parallels so I can run my games. And also wanted to use Parallels whenever I ran OSX and use XP as is.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you have Boot Camp. make sure that you are installing SP3, while you are logged via Boot Camp
    If you do not use Boot Camp, just backup VM, and install SP3
    Please note that OS backup is Microsoft suggestion

3. mtcabs

mtcabs Bit poster

I was having issues with the Boot Camp/Parallels combination when I switched over to Leopard shortly after it was released. At the time (about 6-8 months ago) I decided to just run Parallels.

I would like to know if some progress has been made for using the Boot Camp partition with Parallels. I noticed there were some previous older threads but this was the most recent.

4. John@Parallels

What is the problem?

5. mtcabs

mtcabs Bit poster

My question was general, if using the BC partition in Parallels will work properly. I have not tried it in a while and was interested to know if others are now using it successfully. I have the current builds of OSX and Parallels.
    If I recall correctly I was having issues with drivers and wireless networking, could not run spaces with Parallels running, etc...
    Is there a recommended sequence of installation and updates for Windows?

6. John@Parallels

I can claim following for sure:
    1. If Disk has correct EFI partition
    2. If Windows is installed within first 128 gb
    3. OS is Mac OS 10.5
    4. Windows is satisfied Boot Cam requirements
    You can use Windows in Parallels without Problems

7. mtcabs

mtcabs Bit poster

Sorry, don't quite understand the first 2 points. 1) I assume this just means the original partition when OSX was installed (I did an upgrade from Tiger to OSX before Windows was ever installed). 2) How does where Windows is installed affect its operation and how can you control its placement?

I have had minimal problems with Parallels and Windows since I managed to get it running (I am new to Apple). However I would like the flexibility of running Windows exclusively to utilize all of the system's resources.

8. John@Parallels

9. woodie

woodie Bit poster

Is there a way to verify that the requirements have been met (FFI partition and Windows on first 128MB)? I used Boot Camp to install Windows Vista Home Premium and have been using it without problems. How can I be sure not to have issues with registration and booting from Boot Camp or Parallels?

10. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

Either Windows with PD or Bootcamp but not Both!?!

I have had PD working fine for a very long time, but the other day I needed to go into Bootcamp and only got a bluescreen. So I backed up the fat32 windows partition and did a repair install of XP, and that fixed bootcamp. But now I get a bluescreen when I try and use PD. Arg. So I restored the partition so that PD works; I'd rather have that if it's the only choice, but I'd rather have them both work (PD & BootCamp) if possible. How to do?
    Suggestion for PD Developers:
    * Develop a one click wizard that will, if the user has a working Bootcamp, make a PD Virtual from that.
    THANKS!!!

11. John@Parallels

Confirguration Editor - Hard Disk 1- Advanced - click clear.
    Note you need to reactivate Windows

12. Jigs Gaton

John, is this for me? I need a little more info...a bit terse for my brain...is the config editor part of PD? Confused...thx!

13. John@Parallels

14. Jigs Gaton

I see. But before I do it, what does that do? Will I be able to still use this install in PD AND in Bootcamp? thx again for ur help...

15. John@Parallels

It clears Parallels information from Boot Camp VM

16. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Again, Boot Camp disabled after Parallels installation.

Awhile ago I removed my Vista Virtual Machine from my Mac, but just reinstalled it (via the Boot Camp partition) with the newest build of Parallels. Unfortunately I'm now having the issue whereby I cannot reboot into Vista via Boot Camp. I managed to get this problem fixed awhile ago, but cannot find the post which provided the fix. I'd be grateful if someone could repost it, or provide any other advice. I'm using Vista with SP2.

17. michelcasin

michelcasin Bit poster

Resolve trouble between Parallels and Windows under Boot Camp

I too have the same issue previously. But after seeing the post , I followed the steps and my issue is resolved now. I think this is a great information and very helpful how to resolve trouble between parallels.

Værkstedsinventar

Self Certification Mortgage Lenders

18. John@Parallels

I suppose you upgraded to Service Pack from Parallels Desktop?
    If yes you need to perform Windows repair as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/5223

19. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

No, I installed Service Pack from Boot Camp. Still having problems getting Vista to boot from Boot Camp ONLY after installing the Parallels Virtual Machine.

20. John@Parallels

What is error?