Parallels with Vista Host

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by super awesome, Jun 9, 2006.

1. super awesome

super awesome Junior Member

Before anyone asks, yeah yeah I know it's not officially supported yet. But I just installed Vista Beta 2 and pretty much everything works that worked in XP (in fact, it basically looks the same when you turn off the near-useless new graphical features).

However, my pride and joy Parallels does not work, which worked flawlessly with XP.

The error I receive when trying to start a Guest machine is:

"Error when trying to interact with Parallels Driver........Primary OS reports (0x5) Access is Denied"

I'm running as Admin for now while I get things set up, and none of those already infamous UAC prompts even come up asking for permission to run the program.

Anyone have better success using Parallels with Vista, be it either the public or the team itself?

Thanks either way.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  2. 1kyle

1kyle Member

I couldn't make it work as a Guest (wouldn't install) either. There's problems also using this on VMWARE so some work is still needed on making Virtualisation work whether using VISTA as a HOST or GUEST.

Cheers
    -K

3. super awesome

super awesome Junior Member

I actually tried installing it as Guest first too, but it's incompatible with the ACPI (or APCI, I don't know). So being the beta-fiend that I am, I just said oh well and completely upgraded my XP. And for the record, so far I'm not too impressed with Vista. Had to fiddle with the sound drivers for about 2 hours and still no luck with Parallels...

4. enchiladas_verdes

enchiladas_verdes Bit poster

Anyone know if the situation has changed with Vista RC1 or Parallels 2.2b?

I would like to use Vista as a host to run XP (and possibly other) guests if possible.

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

Vista has a compulsory acpi requirement. Parallels will be able to virtualize acpi in the next major version due by the end of the year.

6. enchiladas_verdes

enchiladas_verdes Bit poster

Yes, I'd heard something along those lines, but I was asking about using Vista as a host, not as a guest. I'll probably go ahead and try this out, was just curious if anyone else had already done so.

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

I did not read your question carefully enough. Sorry about that.

It might work. There have been a lot of reports that programs do not run properly or even at all on Wista.

Let us know how you get on.

8. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Vista is still in beta stage and very buggy. I wouldn't consider it sane to ask for good support until the dust settles down.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

1. Vista RC1 (and Beta2) support as guest OS will be added to next public build of Parallels Workstation 2.2 very soon.
    2. Vista RC1 as primary OS is not supported in Parallels Workstation 2.2 yet.