When will WPF .NET 3.0 apps be supported?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by indiekiduk, Jun 20, 2007.

1. indiekiduk

indiekiduk Junior Member

On Parallels 3 they just crash, pretty sure they worked on Parallels 2 because I remember running Microsoft Expression. Anyway I use parallels for visual studio 2005 development of WPF software and with the current build of parallels visual studio crashes when you try to look at a WPF form in the form designer. And WPF executables just crash when you run them. Interestingly, after a WPF has crashed you can no longer suspend parallels because it says an application is using openGL/DirectX even tho the app isn't listed in the running processes.

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Try turning off DirectX support for your VM in "Edit VM"->Video Card

It will use the software rendering that was used in 2.5 when that checkbox is unchecked.

3. fbronner

fbronner Pro

This is caused by the opengl/directx dll left opened by windows after the crash of the application.

It is a standard feature of windows not to clean up loaded DLL from memory after an application crash. On my windows desktop machine, some of these crashes even causes crashes in other programs because of DLL conflicts.

4. neil-m

neil-m Bit poster

I've just had to roll back from 3.0 - I use Parallels/Windows primarily to work with MS Expression Blend, a WPF app.
    This app and the apps I had created UI's in WPF for were not completing their launches and generally failing.
    Looking forward to a response from Parallels here. Are they aware of the problem? Seems like pretty sloppy testing to let something like this get through into a full release.
    Btw turning off Directx had no effect.

5. neil-m

neil-m Bit poster

Coherance not working with WPF apps

SO it seems the problem is limited to using these WPF/.NET3.0 apps in Coherence mode. They work fine so far in single window mode, and even when you go from Single Window to Coherence.
    But they fail if you try to launch them when Parallels is already in Coherence mode.

6. Kraken

Kraken Member

Is this any better when using Vista as the guest OS? I was thinking of learning more about this stuff with Silverlight 2 coming soon, but can't get the apps to stay open long enough to develop anything.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Do you mean Silverlight 2 is causing problems?

8. Kraken

Kraken Member

Possibly. I have an XP SP3 guest OS. I installed our MSDN version of Visual Studio 2008 and the most recent beta (yes, I know this could be part of the problem) of silverlight 2 and The June 2008 Expression Web 2.5 preview. Visual Studio works fine, but when I go to create a silverlight project, the display goes wonky and the app usually crashes. I got the farthest when I disabled direct-x shaders and used single-window mode, but when I went to build, it even crashed then.

This isn't a deal-breaker because we're not going to develop silverlight apps in the near future. I'm just wondering if there is support for this somewhere down the line? Until then, I suppose I'm stuck with bootcamp or bringing in my own PC from home.

9. John@Parallels

Are you using build 5608?

10. Kraken

Kraken Member

Yes I am using 5608.
    edit: Oh, and I'm on an older 2 x 2.6GHz dual-core Mac Pro tower with 10GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11 and the stock NVIDIA GeForce 7300 256MB video card.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  11. John@Parallels

Ok, let us wait for final release of version2

12. Kraken

Kraken Member

Do you mean version 4?

13. John@Parallels

no, sliverlight 2 final release

14. Kraken

Kraken Member

Looks like Silverlight 2 was recently released. Any word on how seriously this is going to be worked on? Should I look for support soon or just not worry about it until another update down the road?

15. John@Parallels

Silverlight itself is working without problems, but about project it is not yet tested