Very happy...I can now activesync my windows mobile phone!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by latenightmac, Jun 2, 2006.

1. latenightmac

latenightmac Bit poster

I could not do this under any other version as far as I can tell its only been fixed in RC 2 so keep up the good work guys! :)

2. merwin

merwin Member

You're lucky... i still can't

3. SwampNut

SwampNut Bit poster

Did you do anything specific to make it start working, or did it just work?

4. akac

akac Hunter

I'd love more info too - via USB. Here is what I do. I hook up the PDA to the MacBookPro 17 with RC2, Parallels sees the USB PDA device and so I check it (I have AutoConnect off). Great. But the Windows XP side doesn't even acknowledge that its been plugged in. Nada. Nothing.

5. Vajrakilaya

Vajrakilaya Bit poster

USB activesync work-around that works for me

Wait for XP to finish loading in your VM. That's LONG after you hear the windows music and see the verdant desktop. (Until the CPU graph in the XP Task Manager's Performance Tab is low and stable.) That way XP can turn all its attention to recognizing your USB device.

Make sure Parallels has focus (click on the Windows desktop).

Then plug your phone/pda into the Mac's USB port.

If Activesync doesn't recognize it, tell Parallels to virtually "unplug" and "replug" your phone/pda device from XP like this:

Go to Parallel's list of USB devices it knows about (click on Devices, USB in the menu or on the USB icon at the bottom right of the window frame)

Click on the name of your phone/pda. (Mine is named "vendor specific 0bb4:0a51") Click on it again if necessary.

(Not sure which cryptic name is your phone/pda? Compare the list you see with your phone/pda physically plugged into the Mac with the list you see with it physically unplugged)

IMPORTANT - IT'S NOT YOUR BATTERY: if your phone/pda charges off your USB port, like mine does, make sure it's actually charging when you plug it in. My phone's orange charging light does not go on unless Activesync sees it and can sync to it. Another way to check is that the Activesync icon in the Windows taskbar tray, lower right, is green, not gray.

So Parallels running, XP completely booted, virtually unplug and replug the phone with the Devices, USB menu or your battery won't charge, even though you've physically plugged your phone/pda in. I thought my battery was dying for a while.

Hope that helps
    - Ty

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

Okay, this may help, it certainly fixed Activesyncing under VPC.

You need SOMEHOW to get an applications called USB Switch onto your PDA.

When you run it, it allows you to change how the PDA connects to the computer, Serial or Network.

Choose serial and my guess is you will get a connection first time and everytime.

Infact I even use serial on a real PC as it is far more reliable at making a connection than the network version.

A hint though, the connection type gets reset whenever the PDA gets reset.

You can download the cab file from my iDisk account:-

http://idisk.mac.com/robinjackson-Public

Let me know how it goes because sometime next week I will be trying it as well. :)

Robin

7. akac

akac Hunter

So I am using usbswitch on my Treo (it came in ROM) and that works in getting a connection. However, it does not keep the connection for longer than 5 minutes - as such it never finishes the sync itself :(

8. Robster

Robster Hunter

Bugger.

I was counting on this working as it cleared up all the Activesync problems I had with a real PC AND with VPC.

Sort of assumed (never assume anything) that it would work okay under Parallels......

:mad:

Robin