Help Please, I want to MOVE my .pvs files etc.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Robster, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

When I loaded Parallels the first time I allowed it to store the .pvs files and save files etc in my Library folder and I put my .hdd file in my Documents folder (in a Parallels folder).

Now that I am a little more experienced (2 days) I realise that this does not make for easy backups as criticals parts of the VM are in different locations.

I would much rather everything was saved in my Documents folder as this gets far more frequest backups.

SO.

How do I tells Parallels to put ALL the files associated with the VM into the one folder in documents.

I have changed the default location in Preferences but this does not seem to have any effect on the VM I have already created.

If I edit the VM I can do lots of thigs but NOT move where it stores these extra files.

HELP PELASE

Robin

2. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

It's pretty easy. Create a folder to put the VM in and move the .pvs file in there. Then, move the .hdd file also. Open PW and Edit the PVS configuration; PW will complain it cannot locate the .hdd file. Don't worry -- click on the Hard Disk 1 item in the left-hand list and then you will see a little "..." button to the right of the Image File setting. Click this and browse for the .hdd image file.

You should be all set to go!

--Tim

3. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I used the "Clone" function for that.

4. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

Does that now work when the .hdd file is not in the same folder as the pvs? Last time I tried (about 3 betas ago) it did not reconcile these files.

If it now works, I agree, it's far easier just to clone.

--Tim