Safari 3.1/WIN window disappears in Coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by stovak, Mar 20, 2008.

1. stovak

stovak Bit poster

Has anyone experienced the issue after updating to safari 3.1 and using the program in coherence mode, the window keeps disappearing?

2. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

I have the exact same issue. I just installed Safari 3.1 and am using Parallels 3.0 5160 (still on 5160 since Parallels won't fix another issue where 5520 and above peg the processor at 100% because of the Parallels Tools) on a Windows XP session. I was so psyched cause it's so much faster than Firefox and IE, but now when I click on any link or as soon as it launches, or as soon as I do a search (basically anything that makes it go to another page) it just disappears. Safari shows in the toolbar and it's actually not even minimized, because if you click on the Windows toolbar icon for Safari, it then minimizes and then you can maximize it again and see it, but as soon as you click on another link, it disappears again. I really don't get this since you would think of all browsers that Parallels would work with, it would be Safari!!!

3. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

--I did some more testing. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled. No help
    --I tried opening up safari 3.1 in full screen mode instead of coherence, and then changing to coherence, and the same problem still occurs. Keep in mind Safari works fine in full screen mode, just not coherence.
    --I tried uninstalling Safari 3.1 and installing 3.0.4 instead. Same issue occurs.
    --If I have another program fully maximized like word or IE behind Safari, and click on different links in Safari, it seems to work ok (other than the top of the menu bar disappearing, but when you hover over it, it comes back).
    --I tried removing the background that i have in the Windows XP session and using No background picture, then going back to Coherence mode, but the same problem still occurs.

4. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

There's another post where someone from Parallels actually responds they are looking into it.The post has 275 Views, but it's still not fixed.

I'm tired of all the issues I've run into with Parallels with no fixes, so I'm trying the VMware Fusion conversion tool and going to try out Fusion to see if it works any better. I'll let you know how it goes. I use my XP instance in Parallels for work and I can't have it being a chore to manage anymore.

5. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

All other browsers work including Safari 3.0 beta. Is it possible that there are bugs in Safari 3.1? Maybe we are barking at the wrong tree.

6. Steeeve

Steeeve Junior Member

What's the point of running Safari inside of Windows though? Why not just use it on the Mac side?

7. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Because you can.

8. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

So I tried out Fusion and Safari 3.1 works just fine in it. Also, Fedora can go full screen at the 1440X900 default resolution for the Mac with no issues. Fedora in Parallels would never get to that res and would have black borders all around it regardless of what I configured in the config files on Linux.

It also won't prompt me every time I open up Fusion that there's a new version (5584) out with no way of disabling that message. It just seems to fix all the issues I've been having, so I have to go ask my boss to purchase a license for me now. I'm moving away since Parallels couldn't fix the issues I had posted. I did go through email support, and they never got back with me or admitted it was an issue after about 3 replies (that was with the cpu utilization issue). This is really just the straw that broke the camel's back for me even though it might seem lame. What seems lamer to me is just that Safari doesn't work inside Parallels; especially when it works just fine with their competitor, so how could that be anything to do with Safari?! Fusion also has a utility to convert your Parallels instance to a vmware instance so it made things easier for me. I don't think Parallels has anything like that.

Peace.

9. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Bit poster

So, 7 months later. Still doesn't work?

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Developers identified problem, and we are working on it and also on Safari version 4