Putting my Mac Pro to sleep while running VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by stahly, Oct 20, 2008.

1. stahly

stahly Member

OK, stupid question but I can't find any answers doing a search in this forum. My Mac Pro won't automatically go to sleep while running my Win VM (build 5608). Is it supposed to? If not, why??

thx

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What are the settings on Energy Saver tab?

3. stahly

stahly Member

on mac: put computer to sleep after 1hr of in activity...put display to sleep after 20min of inactivity. When running the VM the display inactivity works..but the computer sleep does not. When not running VM, both work fine.

4. John@Parallels

It is because of disk activity,
    Some little tip, pause VM, before leaving Mac, and it fall into sleep

5. stahly

stahly Member

sorry but the whole intent of 'sleep' is to *automatically* do it without user intervention. I can't always, nor do I want, to have to pause my VM. This seems like a feature that *should* be there. Anyone else care to chime in? thx

6. John@Parallels

In this case configure also sleeping preferences in Windows VM too, earlier than in mac
    Just be sure that with some USB devices attached it can cause BSOD in VM

7. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Bit poster

Me too! (Macbook Pro)

I am also having this problem, on a macbook pro, 2009 model. When I shut the cover when my virtual machine is running, it will not sleep. This is a major inconvenience. I sincerely hope a future update or patch addresses this. Other than that, Parallels has been great! Does anyone know of a macbook pro fix?