Networking - Parallels:0, Bootcamp 10

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by geordisjd, Jun 12, 2006.

1. geordisjd

geordisjd Member

I gave it a good try (macBook Pro), but it's not worth it. I won't be the one buying or recommending Parallels unless something changes. I've been able to go online with it but Telnet won't work, no matter what I do. Even going online isn't smooth. It often quits after waking up from sleep, even though the settings haven't been changed and the "PC's" Lan settings say it's connected and working. Not even VirtualPC ever gave me that much trouble.
    Bootcamp takes a 30-second restart.
    I'll check again when a new version of Parallels is available.

2. mmak

mmak Member

maybe you could provide some more info before giving up on parallels. Sometimes it is not PW's fault but a problem with XP networking. I have 2 XP hard drives, clones of each other, one used at work and one at home. All of a sudden, one refuses to see the mac smb, no matter what I try. Before you give up, give forum readers more info and maybe they can help. To me, Parallels 15, Bootcamp 10-overall score, including networking, and Parallels 10, Bootcamp 8 for networking.

3. akac

akac Hunter

The only issue I've had with Parallels has been ActiveSync and USB devices. Other than that, it has been 100% perfect. I run it heavily with networking without any issues.

4. mcg

mcg Hunter

By all means, please consider submitting a more detailed bug report to Parallels directly or to this forum. If it's a bug, they won't fix it if nobody reports it... if it's a documentation issue, that's good for them to know, too. And who knows, maybe it's a simple fix that we can help with. Networking is working smoothly for me, including Web, SSH, VNC, SMB,...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  5. geordisjd

geordisjd Member

I'm glad Parallels is working for some of you. VirtualPC worked great for me on my G5 and I was expecting at least something similar for Parallels.The fact is that I'm not a pro-PC user and some minor detail of PC networking may escape me completely. I've tried the "networking wizard" times and times over, I've gone through the network settings manually as many times, followed the instructions on this board, all with the same frustrating results that made me remember why I love my Macs so much. My reason to use a PC/PC-emulation software is not pleasure, but the fact I have to use a Telnet-based application (Meditech) to connect to my hospital. Even when I manage to go online with Parallels, Telnet won't connect. I get a "0.00039" error message every time. I've sent a report to Parallels' technical support and got a generic response that "it will likely be fixed in the next version".
    On the other hand, I clocked quitting MacOs and restarting in Windows XP with bootcamp at 38 seconds, without any bug or networking failiure. I have not even pondered the pleasures of using USB devices with Parallels. I never got so far.

6. dweebert

dweebert Member

If it's telnet based, why do you need PC emulation at all?

I wish I could help, but I don't know what to suggest. (I'm assuming you've installed the Parallels tools.) I've run all sorts of networking stuff myself (from simple web/telnet/ssh to SonicWall VPN connections) from XP running on Parallels, with nary a problem. The auto-switching between Airport and ethernet in RC2 has take away all of the hokiness I had to go through with previous releases. (The "hokiness" was mostly Mac-side internet connection sharing).

7. geordisjd

geordisjd Member

Telnet is a standard internet protocol to access remote systems and exists for about all operating systems, including Macs. It's not a Telnet issue. It's a Parallels issue with Telnet. Meditech's software is PC only. It allows access to patients' records, can display Xrays and other medical media and has a security access better than my bank. It provides no Mac interface. I would be more than happy to give Parallels another chance if somebody told me a way to configure it so Meditech will connect. VirtualPC did it. Bootcamp does it. Without having to configure anything. It seems to indicate that the problem is with Parallels. I'd be happy to hear about somebody else's experience with Meditech/Parallels. I already started a thread on this a few days ago, but nobody answered. I don't think there's anybody else out there doing it. A frightening thought.

8. mmak

mmak Member

I looked at the meditech website. Unfortunately I could not find any useful documentation on how to set up a pc connection. Everythin over there, including their magazine requires a password. They may be using some hardware feature not emulated in parallels. Without further info on their product, it is hard to provide help. Maybe you should contact your meditech rep at the hospital where you work to figure it out.

9. simon

simon Member

A little information about your environment would be useful.
    If you pull open a DOS window under XP and type "ipconfig" what do you see ?

Can you "ping" the machine you are attempting to telnet to ?
    Are you in bridged mode or host only mode ?
    Does your network require static IP addresses or DHCP ?

I wouldn't give up just yet, if you can give us the answers to some of the questions above then we'll be able to help you.

This doesn't sound like a parallels problem, it's likely to be an XP configuration problem.

We're all pretty friendly here, we'll try to help.

10. Jerry

Jerry Member

If you have Windows Firewall turned on, make sure that you have Telnet selected as and exception. It does not seem to be on by default.

11. geordisjd

geordisjd Member

Some answers:
    1. I am in bridged mode (ethernet adapter or airport - I tried both)
    2. all my networks (work x3 diferent places, home) use DHCP
    3. I wouldn't know how to open a DOS window if my life depended on it
    4. I don't how to "ping" anything under Windows. I've always let my computers do the pinging for me.
    5. I disabled all my firewalls, just in case

12. geordisjd

geordisjd Member

By the way, thanks for trying to help.
    My hospital tech support said "they were not willing to waste their time with a Mac".

13. joem

joem Forum Maven

3) Click the start button
    select run
    type cmd
    hit enter
    <dos prompt>

4) in the above dos window, type "ping " (without the quotes) followed by the ip of the machine you want to ping. If you get a response, try ping followed by the dns name (foo.domain.com or whatever).

BTW, your support folks would be wasting their time with a Mac since they clearly don't know anything about it. Sort of like you might be wasting your time trying to read Sanskrit.

14. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

To each his own, of course, but I'm curious as to how to reproduce your problem. I have had no problems with networking in general but have had specific issues with Cisco VPNs. It works however. Would you mind posting the exact steps to reproduce the issue?