Windows 98 can't restart

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hagbard_23, Jun 20, 2008.

1. hagbard_23

hagbard_23 Bit poster

Hi,
    I've installed Windows 98 as Guest OS under Parrallels 3.0 Build 5608. Host OS is 10.5 on a MacBook Pro. After the end of the installation procedure I tried to resart Windows, but I get this message (see attachment). When I "Press any key", as prompted, I get a black screen and the startup-process just hangs itsself up.
    The boot-sequence is set to "Hard Disk, CD-ROM, Floppy". The Boot-Floppy-Image is still connected. The Installer CD-Image is disconnected.

What is my problem and how can I solve it?

Thanks
    Hagbard

Attached Files:

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please check following
    1. OS type selected in Windows 98
    2. Parallels Desktop -<Virtual Machine name>-Edit-Virtual Machine -Options -Advanced
    Disable Intel VT-x support and Hardware acceleration
    3. Did you try to press enter to continue
    4. If you can login please install Parallels Tools

3. hagbard_23

hagbard_23 Bit poster

Thanks for the tipp. But disabling of the Intel VT-support didn't solve the problem.
    I tried of course to press enter to continue, but if I do that, all I get is a black screen. Very misterious.

4. jbh001

jbh001 Member

I remember running into that error before. It usually means there was a glitch in the installation somewhere along the line. Usually this is fixed by reinstalling Windows 98.

When installing, it can also help to make an .iso image of your Windows 98 install disc, and then use that image for the installation instead of the physical CD.

There are step-by-step instructions here if you haven't already discovered them. Newer builds of Parallels may have made some of these steps unnecessary, but even if that is the case, the unnecessary steps don't seem to create any problems (yet).