Parallels will not shutdown Vista properly...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jhiginbotham, May 22, 2008.

1. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

If you read early on in this thread I turned on Detect Hal in msconfig in the advance settings of the boot menu. This allowed me to boot into Bootcamp and Parallels, the only drawback is you will still receive the "you did not shutdown windows xp correctly", which it is correct since I shut down vista, lol...So just ignore the message when it pops up until the devs can iron it out. Also I still have the problem in 5608 John, unless it rolled over from the previous version, fyi this issue didn't pop up until three version ago, not sure if you knew that and it worked fine until that like some umpteen million versions before that, it wasn't until you added the stuff for activation after sp1 that it started doing this, which honestly I think that has something to do with it, but I don't have the source how would I know.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are checking every line of code to make it clear

3. solidd_swa

solidd_swa Bit poster

boot camp update

hello,

if i remember right, which i am not sure that i od. but didnt apple just release new bootcamp driver update?

maybe those drivers caused something?

4. solidd_swa

solidd_swa Bit poster

still no real solution?

hello,

I was wondering if you guys found a real solution yet... and not just a work around?

5. Spencer

Spencer Junior Member

No, still waiting for a real fix from Parallels. No word on that yet.

6. solidd_swa

solidd_swa Bit poster

wow

its been so long since this problem was found...... no solution yet?

7. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

Nope no solution yet

I get fed up and decided to reformat and try again...still had a problem and time was money at this point and I was running behind on work messing with a problem that I shouldn't have had to trouble shoot myself, so I went to vmware fusion and bought that. I've been using that since and it is sweet. Faster and has the dual monitor support I needed (no taskbar running down the middle of my screen). So I'm not saying that you should run out and purchase this but it sure did the trick for me and seems to be a much superior product. When the whole world of virtual machine on Mac started Parallels was the product, but I'm not so sure that is the case now, looks like there is a new (old) kid on the block. I've used vmware on other OS's but never OS X. Works amazingly well, so something you might want to look into. Just my two cents.

8. Spencer

Spencer Junior Member

Seems to be a dead issue

I suspect this is a dead issue for them, against this release anyways. No one seems to be listening to this thread anymore. And about 2 weeks ago, I got a newsletter pre-announcing v. 4.0 of Parallels Desktop for Mac. So maybe the problem gets fixed in that version.

Be nice if they offered us some break on upgrading since we've sat through this bug for so long.

Anyone from Parallels still lurking on this thread? What do you think about giving us a break on the next upgrade?

Spencer

9. John@Parallels

Actually we are working on this problem in PD3, it is just hard to find out under what condition

10. Spencer

Spencer Junior Member

Thanks for checking in John. Let us know if you need any more debugging information. Sadly, it sounds like you lost a customer over this from an earlier post.

11. Spencer

Spencer Junior Member

Sigh.... I see that the recent build (5626) still does not address this problem. Just installed it, launched Parallels, shutdown and Voila! there was the "could not properly shutdown" message again.

12. John@Parallels

Build is addressing another problems, and we are working on this still