Video Resolutions changes when VM with Windows XP set to start automatically

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by efoo, Jun 14, 2006.

1. efoo

efoo Bit poster

I have a MBP 17" and Parallels Desktop RC2, running a Windows XP Pro SP2 in a VM.

Setting the Windows VM to auto-start in full screen upon selection of configuration seems to have 2 different results, depending on how the Windows VM was previously shutdown.

1. When Windows XP Pro was shut down in full screen mode, autostarting in full screen works ok.

2. When Windows XP Pro was shutdown, while in a non-full screen mode, autostarting it later in full screen, causes:
    a. Mac OS X screen resolution to change to the resolution of Windows XP Pro in the last non-full screen mode.
    b. and autostart in full screen would fail, because the changed Mac OS X screen resolution does not support the full screen Windows XP Pro resolution.

Specifically:
    i. Set Windows XP Pro VM to autostart when configuration is selected, and to start in full screen automatically;
    ii. MBP 17" display resolution set to 1600 x 1050 in Mac OS X;
    iii. Start windows XP Pro VM automatically;
    iv. Change Windows XP Pro from full screen to windowed VM, with desktop set at 1280 x 800 resolution;
    v. Shutdown windows XP Pro in windowed VM, instead of full screen (Mac desktop still in 1600 x 1050 resolution);
    vi. Double-click windxp.pvs file;
    vii. Windows XP starts, and begins process to operate in full screen mode, and before this is completed, MBP 17" display resolution somehow changes from 1600 x 1050 to 1280 x 800, and autostart in full screen mode fails, because Mac display and desktop resolution does not support Windows XP Pro full screen resolution of 1600 x 1050.

Problem does not occur when Windows XP Pro VM is shutdown while in full screen mode.

Is anyone have a similar problem? Am I missing something here? Or is this a known problem being fixed?

2. chrismasto

chrismasto Member

I'm with you. It would be nice if Parallels remembered my preferred window size. The way it is now, the switching thing only works properly if you never shut down or start up in full screen mode.