Using MacOS VPN Client from Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobski, Dec 7, 2007.

1. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

Please, do some tests (may be once more) from Guest OS with VPN and Parallels Shared Network enabled:

1) ping www.parallels.com
    2) ping 64.131.89.6
    3) Switch off all proxies in Guest OS browser and put http://64.131.89.6/ as an URL
    4) telnet 64.131.89.6 80

2. mmw2tm

mmw2tm Bit poster

Sorry for the delay...

1) "Ping request could not find host..."
    2) "Request timed out"
    3) "The page cannot be displayed..."
    4) "Could not open connection with the host, on port 80..."

3. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

That means you cannot ping and have no connect at all. Then what does it mean "Again, I can ping the network using IP addresses (numbers), but not names (www.example.com)"? Please, explain with more details.
    Thanks.

4. mmw2tm

mmw2tm Bit poster

Sorry... it means I can ping our internal, corporate network from the Guest OS using IP addresses (numbers only, no names) while on the Host OS VPN. I cannot ping any external addresses at all (e.g. 64.131.89.6 or www.parallels.com).

In summary -
    From Host OS using Host VPN:
    CAN ping internal servers using IP addresses AND NAMES
    CANNOT ping external servers at all (expected)
    CAN access internal/external websites using browser via corporate proxy

From Guest OS using Host VPN:
    CAN ping internal servers using IP addresses only (NO NAMES)
    CANNOT ping external servers at all (expected)
    CANNOT access any websites at all (and that's my problem)

So, the issue seems to be that I cannot resolve domain names from the Guest OS. However, even when I plug in the IP address of the proxy server (in place of the name) in the Host OS, I still can't access any URLs from the Guest browser.

Thanks for your quick replies...

5. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

I need to know if TCP works in Guest through your VPN connection. I see that ICMP does and UDP does not.

So please try to connect to any internal website with "telnet <internal-ip-address> 80" from Guest with VPN connection. You can also do this using http://<internal-ip-address>/ as a browser URL.

6. mmw2tm

mmw2tm Bit poster

Host OS w/VPN:
    CAN telnet <internal-ip-address> 80
    CAN connect via http://<internal-ip-address>

Guest OS w/VPN(host):
    CANNOT telnet <internal-ip-address> 80; "Could not open connection to the host..."
    CANNOT connect via http://<internal-ip-address>; "The page cannot be displayed..."

7. 2smuth

2smuth Bit poster

Just get the client

Nortel doesn't charge for the Windows Vista client noe do they count the number of Windows clients, only the Mac clients as they don't make it for the Mac. It is an upgrade your Admin should have. If he doesn't have it for Vista its a phone call away. I use it on Vista under 5582 and it works fine. I have a Mac PPTP connection to the Nortel Contivity and use the Vista client on Parallels at the same time.

8. mmw2tm

mmw2tm Bit poster

Mark... the title to this thread is confusing. It was for another issue. I'm using WinXP, and this Client OS should be able to use the Host's VPN connection, via the Contivity Client for Mac. I'd rather not run two VPN clients, and two VPN connections, if I can help it.

9. Beppe

Beppe Bit poster

Also having trouble with Parallels, XP & Leopard

This may be a bit off-topic, but I couldn't find another Parallels sub-forum that seemed to be appropriate for my issue.

I am connecting to my company's VPN with a Leopard client, Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. It works great, I would like Windows to be able to access the corporate VPN through this same session. In Windows, I can browse the regular (public web), but Intranet pages do not load (generic "The page cannot be displayed" message from IE). I am running 10.5.2, Parallels 3 (build 5584), and XP SP2.

Shared networking is turned on. OSX Network control panel shows Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT as being green, with a Self-Assigned IP address of 169.254.189.215 for both connections.

I tried to force the two Parallels connections in OSX to get a new IP address by choosing "Configure: Off", hitting "Apply," and then setting it back to "Configure: Using DHCP" and hitting apply. I still get self-assigned IP addresses every time.

So...now what should I try?

10. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Have you tried re-installing Parallels Desktop in Mac OS to reset Shared Networking daemon? Doing "Repair Disk Permissions" is also recommended in this case.
    As an alternative you can also try setting VM to Bridged Networking and using Cisco VPN client from Windows side.

11. mikefischer99

mikefischer99 Bit poster

Same problem here

I'm having the same problem:

Leopard 10.5.2
    Run parallels (shared networking)
    All is fine inside Windows XP Pro SP2

Connect to Cisco VPN on the Mac side
    Run parallels (shared networking)
    Inside WinXP, I can ping internal IP addresses on my corporate LAN, I can NOT resolve hostnames in DNS, and I can NOT browse web sites (internal or Internet). Interestingly, I have one web site (internal corporate LAN) that has a tiny page -- just a few words on it -- and if I browse that by IP address, it loads in my browser, but any other page fails. My suspicion is that the page fits in one packet, which is why it succeeds.

I've downloaded the trial of VMWare Fusion, and networking works perfectly while I'm on VPN. Since I've already purchased Parallels, I'd prefer to get this fixed on Parallels, but I also need a solution that works.

I'd be happy to provide any info that will help (tcpdumps, etc.)

I've tried re-installing Parallels, VPN, and even OSX in several different orders, all with the same results.

My current config:

OSX 10.5.2
    Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.9.01 (0080)
    Parallels 5584

I've also tried Cisco VPN version 0100 with no luck.

Thanks,

Mike

12. NeilB@

NeilB@ Bit poster

DNS resolution bug methinks

I dont think the problem has anything to do with the VPN part of the problem, I think parallels has a DNS resolution bug. That is, the Windows to Mac NAT is not providing DNS information from the Mac to internet (or intranet). So the Mac network adapter can be quite happily DNS resolving on your corporate LAN, but the Parallels network adapter is not propogating this information the way it should for outward requests from the Windows environment.

I am using XP Pro service pack 2, Parallels 3.0 and OSX 10.5.2

13. woodpile

woodpile Bit poster

I'm having this exact same problem on 10.4.11 and Parallels build 5584 connecting through my home wireless network. I've been able to get access to the intranet when I remove the security on the network, but the minute that I re-enable it, I lose the connection.

14. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

Please, explain exactly what the network problem you have. You mixed some technologies as wireless and VPN, I cannot guess what did you mean.

Are you using Shared Networking for connecting through your home wireless network?

15. woodpile

woodpile Bit poster

Sorry, I realize in rereading this that it might have been vague.

What I meant to say is that when I'm logging into my work network via VPN on a secure wireless network, I am unable to access the intranet or connect to the Exchange server. If I use the VPN connection on an unsecure wireless network, I have no problems with intranet access or Exchange.

I am using Shared Networking.

Let me know if I can clarify anything else. Thanks.

16. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

Please, answer the next:
    1) What VPN client do you use, exactly with version's number?
    2) What does it mean "secure" and "unsecure" in your case?
    3) While connected with "secure" VPN try to access Exchange or Intranet by its IP address. Write, if it will be successful or not.

Thank you.

17. woodpile

woodpile Bit poster

- VPN client: Cisco VPN Client 4.9.01
    - "Secure" = D-Link wireless router w/ WPA personal security enabled
    - Accessing intranet via IP was unsuccessful

Let me know if you need more information.

18. chrishoweau

chrishoweau Bit poster

Is there an answer to this one as yet?

I am using Nortel VPN, Leopard and XP in Parallels. I have the XP version of Nortel VPN in Parallels as well, and it works fine standalone, however I need the Mac Nortel to work and be able to access my work's intranet via IE in XP.

I will take the suggestion above about trialing VMWare Fusion, but I've paid for Parallels and would prefer to not have to purchase another program.

Is there a way to have Parallels be able to go online (either intranet or internet) with VPN running on the Mac?

Thanks in advance.

19. mmw2tm

mmw2tm Bit poster

I gave up an bought VMWare Fusion. No problems. The Nortel VPN client works fine for accessing our intranet while running XP as the guest OS on VMWare. I just couldn't get it to work with Parallels....

20. techbri

techbri Bit poster

Same issue here using Parallels v4.0

I have installed Parallels v4.0 on my MacBook running OS X 10.5.5 and I setup a vpn connection in Leopard to my PPTP VPN server. I am using the built-in VPN support in Leopard to do this (no 3rd party client). I have installed Vista Business SP1 in the virtual machine and it's configured to use shared networking. If I connect to the VPN in leopard, I can ping an IP address on my corporate network from the guest but I can't ping the same server by name. I have tried editing the Shared Networking preferences in System Preferences>Network to include a search domain as I am pinging by FQDN. For example, if remote domain is parallels.com, then I added parallels.com as the search domain and then ping server.parallels.com from the guest but it times out. I also tried entering the a remote DNS server in the shared networking connection but had no luck. Has anyone gotten this to work or do I just need to use a windows vpn client in the guest?