Allow Guest OS to see more hardware?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dralith, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dralith

dralith Bit poster

I am fairly new on Parallels, but not so new on the guest OSes I am trying to use with it. I have not been able to find any documentation on how to do what I am trying to, so hopefully someone here can help me. My installation of Win XP went without any hiccups, so I recently installed CentOs 5.1. The installation went smoothly after I figured out (much to my dismay) that I could not use the 64 bit version of the OS. This was disappointing, but not deal breaking. Once I got everything loaded up, and capped the memory down to 512 MB so it would boot properly (ie. at all) I discovered that the system did not recognize any specific video card or monitor. Even this is not a total show stopper though. Most of what I am doing does not require especially high end graphics. The next discovery is the one that may make Parallels more or less useless to me. My installation can only either see en0 OR en1, but not both... I am certain that there must be a way to make it see both interfaces, because it would make no sense to me at all that this should not be the case. If anyone can point me in the right direction to make this happen I would be greatly appreciative. I need to set up a Wireshark box on here, and it just isn't going to work if I don't have two interfaces to bridge. Please don't tell me I have to find a different more capable product to do this. Thanks in advance.

2. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

1) Parallels Desktop (I mean you are using it) supports 32-bit guest OSes only for now.
    2) Problem with 512MB of memory is a bug in old Linux kernel. If you want more memory to use you should update your kernel to 2.6.23.
    3) Parallels has its own virtual video card (VESA) that doesn't depend on the real hardware one.
    4) Please, describe your network configuration in detail. Don't forget to point to the Mac OS X and Parallels Desktop versions.

3. dralith

dralith Bit poster

1) I can accept this, even though I wish it would have been better advertised. The Intel Macs have always ben 64 bit machines, and I had to really dig to find this information. I am not trying to say that it is some fatal flaw in the product, only that it would have been nice to know up front instead of feeling like I was uncovering something that had been hidden.
    2) I had read this, but as I am working with a linux that is designed for enterprise stability I have not found the 512 MB cap to be enough of a problem yet to necessitate changing the kernel.
    3) Is there a way to make the system still recognize that it has access to 64 MB of VRAM then? I would really like to get it working with Open GL, but it keeps dumbing down to the lowest video settings since it can't detect/recognize any hardware.
    4) I am running 10.4.11 with the latest Parallels build 5582. The guest OS is Centos 5.1. My Intel Mac has two ethernet ports (as I believe they all do) so, I have an en0 and an en1. My system is connected to the network via en0 and I wish to bridge en0 and en1 so I can pass traffic through the Mac by placing a second system on en1. I am attempting to do this with Parallels because Aplle thought it prudent, for some unknown reason, to remove all of the bridging code from their kernel when using technology from Free BSD. I don't know why they did this, as it is a standard part of every modern BSD and Linux, but they did. The problem is that I am only able to make the virtual machine see either en0 OR en1, but not both. What I would like is for the guest OS to detect both built in nics so I can bridge, which the OS is perfectly capable of doing if it can detect the interfaces. If additional details are required please let me know and I will be happy to provide them.

4. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

For now OpenGL (and DirectX) works with near native performance in Windows guests only (while Parallels Tools installed). In Linux guests it works with software rendering.

Anyway, you can use any standard screen resolution up to 1600x1200x32bit with Linux guests. There are some issues with latest Xorg and build 5582. It is necessary to set up resolution directly, this article can help.

You can put two virtual interface bridged, each on its own physical network ethernet adapter. You can unite the virtual ones in single bridge by guest OS'es tools. But for build 5582 you cannot put virtual network adapters in promiscuous mode. So an ethernet bridging through Parallels Desktop Guest is not possible, it is not a Server solution.

As an alternative you can use IP-based gateway (may be with NAT) on either Parallels Desktop Guest or Mac itself.

5. dralith

dralith Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. I found how to add the second Ethernet adapter, but I had noticed the cards would not go promiscuous. I'll keep looking for solutions that I can execute from the Mac.

6. mattjvw

mattjvw Bit poster

Promiscuous mode

So you can't put virtual network adapters in promiscuous mode for build 5582. Is this a feature that will be enabled? If so, when can we expect it?

7. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

This feature will be in Parallels Server.

8. mattjvw

mattjvw Bit poster

I'm disappointed that such a simple feature is being held back from the desktop product. I don't know what your pricing strategy is for Parallels Server, but I know that VMWare Fusion already has this feature. I've appreciated the effort that Parallels has put forth in the past to accommodate the wishes of the community, but I don't like the direction this is going. I would prefer to support Parallels, but not if you're going to force me to buy another product. I hope you'll change your mind about this.

9. dralith

dralith Bit poster

Is is the intention of the Parallels Team to have a reasonable upgrade path to the server version of the product to avoid punishing owners of the existing product for being early adopters of the product by making them buy it twice?

10. fastmike600

fastmike600 Bit poster

promiscuous mode

Is there finally support for promiscuous mode in Parallels Desktop 3.0 or it is a right moment to switch to VMWare Fusion as my version of Parallels is going to be depreciated anyway?

11. DigiAngel

DigiAngel Bit poster

Are you KIDDING me?? I've been wanting to run a virtual router on my Mac with linux...I knew bridging was out, but I was pretty surprised to see that promiscuous mode wasn't working either. I can't BELIEVE this is a "server" feature....apparently Parallels Desktop is yet another crippled Mac product.

12. DigiAngel

DigiAngel Bit poster

As I've dug deeper...guess what else won't work? Testing an IDS....Snort needs promiscuous to see other machines besides itself....looks like VMware will be the solution unless future desktop versions have this enabled.