Keyspan Serial adaptor - How?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HHH, Apr 11, 2008.

1. HHH

HHH Bit poster

Hello,
    New to Parallels, not new to Windows or Mac OS.
    I'm trying to install a Keyspan USA19-HS usb>serial adaptor for use with a program/hardware device that requires serial and I'm not having much luck. I've searched on the Parallels site and can't find information.

The Keyspan is not installed in the Mac OS. When Parallels is open and I plug the Keysapn in it gives me the question about connecting to the VM.
    It installed fine in Windows XP and the Keyspan Serial Assistant indicates it's on Com3 and Idle.
    Running the Add Hardware Assistant (with the VM stopped) I get the choice of file output or text output, and I need the Keyspan.
    When I run the program that requires the serial port of course I get the error that Com3 is unavailable.

MacOS10.5.2
    Parallels 3.0/5160
    no bootcamp
    Windows XP/sp2c
    Keyspan USA19HS, not installed in MacOS, installed in Windows.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks
    H

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. HHH

HHH Bit poster

Anyone?
    H

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello HHH,

I am sorry to say Parallels Desktop is not currently supporting Keyspan. We are working to implement this option.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. madde001

madde001 Bit poster

Please do!

Here's another vote for making support of the Keyspan USB/serial adapter a high priority.

A lot of us have old peripherals hanging around from our pre-Mac days that require serial input (I've got a lovely labelmaker that only supports serial interface and Windows software...)

5. HHH

HHH Bit poster

Hello,
    Really? Are there any usb>serial adaptors that Parallels supports? I'll purchase that one if it exists.
    To be honest the only reason I purchased Parallels and XP was to run AZEdit, an intercom programming app with serial communication that isn't written for the Mac. I must use it for work, and it's the only Windows app I need. I used it under VirtualPC before, and this is the ONLY reason I need Parallels.
    If Parallels does not support any usb>serial adaptors then not only did I waste the money on Parallels, but I'm now forced into purchasing VMWare's solution. On top of that, it will be a pain to reinstall XP because it's already been activated under Parallels, and Microsoft gets very surly when you mention Parallels or VMWare - they refuse to give a new authorization code. Meaning another copy of XP as well.
    I'm very disappointed in this because it's such a basic Windows function.
    I'm sorry to say but unless this is supported by Friday when I get back from travel, or there's another viable usb>serial solution, you've lost another customer.
    Thanks for responding,
    H

6. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

How about the Edgeport/8 serial USB converter. Will that work under Parallels. I'm going to have this problem in about 3-4 weeks. I have serial devices that need to interface to both Parallels and the OS X.

7. HHH

HHH Bit poster

Hello,
    Are there any usb>serial adaptors that can be used with Parallels/XP for serial communication? The answer "no" is acceptable but I need an answer so I can pull the trigger on the next move.
    Thanks
    H

8. Hersato

Hersato Bit poster

This will work IOGEAR GU 232A, only mount the divers in XP.

9. HHH

HHH Bit poster

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply, I will give that adaptor a try. I still can't figure out how to get Parallels to use a com port as something other than a "file" or "socket" selection.
    Maybe when I install this unit it will be obvious....
    H

10. Hersato

Hersato Bit poster

Sorry is IOGEAR GUC 232A usb to serial adapter .

11. HHH

HHH Bit poster

Hello,
    Hersato - thank you very much for the info, the IOGear usb>serial adaptor worked flawlessly. Installed it in Windoze, checked for it in Device Manager (com3), launched the programming software, worked instantly. No need to change Parallels' definition of the com port (file or socket).

My concern - I spent hours searching the FAQ's, looking in every corner of the site I could find, doing many, many searches of the forum with various terms, and couldn't find anything about this topic. I appreciate Xenos' quick response in saying the Keyspan wasn't supported, but he gave no options and no further input, leading me to suspect usb>serial wouldn't work at all in Parallels.
    Perhaps a note in the FAQ about this would help. It could be a disclaimer saying you don't endorse it, but users have found it to work. It will save someone else the many hours I've spent on this.

Thanks again for the help,
    H

12. Hersato

Hersato Bit poster

HHH, I spent lot of time searching for usb to serial that work and was a pleasure for me that your serial ports is working, sorry for my English is not my native language.

hersato.

13. SeekerBlog

SeekerBlog Member

Boatguy,
    Yes, Edgeport 8 works fine for me - with latest XP drivers installed. I want to buy the Keyspan 4-port adapter to use as a backup in case the Edgeport fails. From forum traffic it sounds like there is trouble with Keyspan but I don't understand why Edgeport would work but Keyspan not.

14. DavidAn

DavidAn Bit poster

Hello, I did success this with Keyspan USA19-HS. The environment at that time is on Mac OS 10.5.3 with Parrallels Desktop 5608 (trial). My guest OS is MS Windows XP.

- Added a serial port ( Use an output file ) in configuration.

It is better if Parallels can fix in the future build. Is this in the wishlist already?

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Yes, and we are trying to talk to manufacturer, but I am not aware about details

16. viggen61

viggen61 Bit poster

One more vote for getting the Keyspan USB devices working. Alternately, a list someplace of TESTED USB-serial devices would help immensely.

The odd thing is, right now, all appears to be working,if you talk to Device Manager. If the program tries to connect, it times out. No error, just a data time out. All settings are correct.

Even odder, I have a proprietary USB-serial device that worked perfectly without so much as a hitch. It is a device made by ICOM used to program some of their handheld business radios.

17. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

I used a Keyspan 4 port serial / USB hub, but could not get access to the serial ports under XP (as noted in the Keyspan manual). I then tried adding a single port Keyspan adapter, but the driver in the MacOS supports both the 4 and 1 port adapters and seemed to grab it anyway. I even tried installing just the single port under XP on a separate computer, but that wouldn't work either.

I also tried the Edgeport 8, but whenver I plug it into my system (iMac 20"), I start getting a bunch of power warning messages saying it's drawing too much power from the USB port, even with nothing plugged into it.

However, at the suggestion of someone from Keyspan I tried SerialClient and it worked well. It's a little techie, not entirely user friendly and probably won't support every XP application, but it worked for what I needed. Available at http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php

18. viggen61

viggen61 Bit poster

Yeah, I got SerialClient working. Works pretty well with the Keyspan USA-19HS (single DB9). I use it for communicating with come of my commercial and Ham radios. The one commercial radio works great on reading from the rig, but I can't seem to get it to hold on sending to the rig. I need more time to explore the port options in Windows for that. The program for my Ham radio reads and writs to that rig just fine, though I did get a little hiccup on one write.

Fortunately, the Keyspan driver works fine under Boot Camp, so if I have to, that is an option, but I don't often want to tear down my whole Mac workspace just to change a few frequencies.

I'd rather that Parallels either:
    a) specified a known working USB-Serial adapter, if there are any,
    or
    b) try to solve the issue with the Keyspan drivers.

19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

will try to clarify situation

20. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

What a coincidence, I'm also using it to manage the frequencies in my marine SSB/ham radio!

However, I have some navigation programs that also need serial support so I totally agree that Parallels needs to step up and address the general problem. I don't care who's h/w they choose to support, but they need a solution.

Parallels development team - are you listening? I can't use your product without serial support. If the situation continues, then I abandon Parallels and use Bootcamp.