Parallels Stealing Focus, Switching Spaces

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Dogfish Jones, Dec 21, 2007.

1. mssrkurtz

mssrkurtz Junior Member

I think if we could get status updates on this issue it would go a long way towards making people feel better about it. This is a very annoying problem for me--so annoying that, like some of the other posters, I would jump to a competing product right now if I thought it would solve the problem.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Developers ar working on problem, I can see internal correspondence and it is active

3. mssrkurtz

mssrkurtz Junior Member

Is there an indication of when we might see an update?

4. John@Parallels

I will post here if any

5. hadfiiw

hadfiiw Bit poster

I only see this happen when it first starts up if I am on a different space then the one I have picked for Parallels.

For example, in the Spaces preferences, I have picked space 2 for Parallels to run. If I am in another space (1 for example) and launch Parallels, Spaces will jump between space 1 and 2 4-5 times. Then, when I try to click in the Parallels window to "select" one of my two images to boot, it will automatically jump back to space 1 then back to space 2 and nothing has been chosen. I usually have to grab the top of the Parallels window, move it around in space 2 for a few section to make everything calm down again. I have also seen this happen when I shut down a Windows machine in Parallels but it isn't as frequent.

Of course, other applications do not do this. If I launch iTunes (for example) from space 1, I jump to space 4 and then stay on space 4 until *I* change the space.

I have a Mac Pro running 10.5.5 with Parallels 5608. If you need any more info, please let me know.

6. pendolino

pendolino Member

can we see any progress on this without having to disable coherence mode? does anyone have workarounds for the time being?

7. jasonvp

jasonvp Junior Member

Any Updates Yet

Hi John, et al -

Parallels has just started doing this focus-stealing for me, too. So add me to the list of folks ever so slightly annoyed by it. So much so that I leave the VM shut down unless I really need it. When I'm done using it, I turn the VM back off.

Anyway, it's been over a month and a half since your last update on this thread. Is there any progress on a fix? Are you guys trying to roll it into a new version with a bunch of other things (which will obv. take a little longer), or just adding it to a one-off patch? Hopefully it's the latter...

Thanks!

jas

8. John@Parallels

Yes, we are working on it, the main problem is that it is only appearing in specific applications

9. jasonvp

jasonvp Junior Member

Odd. I see it happen even when no applications are running...

jas

10. John@Parallels

Let me clarify, in any case we have at least one application (in addition to Finder running)

11. jasonvp

jasonvp Junior Member

When you say application running, do you mean a Windows app within the VM? Or do you mean another OS X app running on the machine? When I said "no applications", I mean no Windows apps running.

jas

12. John@Parallels

I meant on both side, and again, on Windows side at least 30 applications (processes are running even when you see no application Windows)

13. pendolino

pendolino Member

use full-screen parallels rather than coherence

i've only experienced the focus stealing when running MS outlook in coherence. note that i only really run parallels for outlook so not sure about other apps but notice that outlook constantly does this when running parallels in coherence.

as soon as i run in full screen mode i have no issues.

doesn't look like a solution is coming soon at the rate parallels are going.

14. jasonvp

jasonvp Junior Member

Right. Coherence seems to be the problem here, not any particular applications per se. I can have Windows running with no applications (I'm not talking about services. I'm talking user-initiated applications) and it'll still steal focus. Switching to full screen solves the problem. But, that's not really an adequate solution IMHO.

jas

15. John@Parallels

We are looking into this,
    Just reminder :)

16. jasonvp

jasonvp Junior Member

Well kids, just a reminder: it's fookin' annoying. Your customers are unhappy at this (and one of them is considering switching to VMWare because of it). So please double-time it and get it patched as soon as you can.

Thanks. :)

jas

17. John@Parallels

Yep, it is what we are actually doing :)

18. jasonvp

jasonvp Junior Member

John, et al at Parallels -

I realize that P4.0 is the new hotness right now, but it's not ready for prime time, and I can't use it. So, I need to continue using P3.0. I want to make sure that this bug is still being worked on for 3.0. Are you expecting a patch/revision release to help fix this?

Thanks.

jas

19. mssrkurtz

mssrkurtz Junior Member

Update?

What is the status of this?

20. pendolino

pendolino Member

no updates here? no fix?