Internet Connection Conflict

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by raleedy, Nov 4, 2008.

1. raleedy

raleedy Member

After functioning just fine for months, Parallels now grabs my internet connection: I get an error message from OS X on Parallels startup, saying that my local IP address is in use, and then I can go on line only through Parallels and Windows XP. I tried the tedious reboot, repair, reinstall, reboot, repair sequence recommended in another thread, with no change. The only thing new or different was an OS X update recently involving Airport connections (I do not use Apple hardware for my wireless network, though). Help would be much appreciated. It's not practical to use Parallels if I can't leave the VM running in background.

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

would you, please, reset a MAC address of your virtual machine:
    1) If the virtual machine is started, please shut it down.
    2) A summary screen will appear, stating "Microsoft Windows ... - stopped". If it did not appear, then press and hold the Apple key and start your virtual machine while holding it.
    3) After the screen appears, choose Edit from the upper menu and choose "Virtual Machine". A Configuration Editor screen will appear.
    4) Choose the Network Adapter options -> Advanced
    Make sure, that the address is different from that of your Mac (See Apple -> System preferences -> Network).

3. raleedy

raleedy Member

Thanks, Da. In the Virtual Machine Edit menu, I switched to "Shared Networking" from "Bridged Ethernet" and that seems to have solved the problem. No idea how, or if, settings got changed in the first place.

4. asilver

asilver Bit poster

Data,

Thanks for referring me to this thread. I realized there was a MAC address issue. I'm currently using the a wireless and wired connection simultaneously to workaround the issue. My dilemma is the following:

I use Boot Camp, so I had to make the network adapter MAC addresses the same to avoid having to reactivate my software all the time. Honestly, I haven't tested changing the MAC address. I don't really know how to create my own MAC address.

I use a Bridged ethernet connection, so that I can access my printers on my network. I'm open to any suggestions to help with this issue.

Adam

5. LARoss27

LARoss27 Bit poster

I had the same problem with settings seeming to suddenly change. Did the reinstall several times and finally purchased a tech support call. Switching to Shared worked for me too, but I don't want that mode.

For some odd reason - maybe a corrupt alias? - I can use Bridged mode but have to start Parallels, click Actions, then click Start. If I double click my XP desktop alias that points to /Users/Documents/Parallels/[user]/My Boot Camp/My Boot Camp.pvs, XP grabs the internet connection and OSX can no longer connect. Not sure if this is a clue to what's going on, but posting for whatever it's worth.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. LARoss27

LARoss27 Bit poster

John - changing the MAC address is not an option for people using Boot Camp. It forces reactivation of XP.

Are you saying that the Mac & XP have to have a different MAC address?

That doesn't make sense since most of us had a working setup with the same MAC address that is suddenly broken.

8. LARoss27

LARoss27 Bit poster

Maybe more clues here.

1) Start my MBP, then start Parallels in Shared mode.
    2) Start XP, both OSX & XP have connection.
    3) Shut down XP and switch to Bridged in the Config Editor.
    4) Start XP, and both have connection.

I checked the IP settings in Shared mode, then again when I switched to Bridged. They did not change:
    Airport - 192.168.1.90
    Parallels Host-Guest - 10.37.129.2
    Parallels NAT - 10.211.55.2
    Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    Router - 192.168.1.254

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

hm, could you put here
    ifconfig -a from Mac
    and
    ipconfig /all
    from Windows command console