USB HASP dongles connection fails (again): Boot Camp here I come!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hans sep, Jun 12, 2006.

?

Is USB device support important?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2006.
  1. Yes, USB device support is essential.

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. No, USB device support is not important.

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. hans sep

hans sep Junior Member

:confused: Hi all,

for the better part of this day I have been trying to get my HASP dongles recognized by Desktop for Mac. Right after installing Desktop for Mac beta 6 they worked without a major issue but since upgrading to RC1/RC2 all I seem to get is the "cannot connect, wait 5-10 seconds" dialog. I've tried to downgrade to beta 6 but this helped once. After a disconnect/connect Desktop did not want to connect to my HASP dongles.

From the messages on the forum I see a lot of issues reported related to USB support. For me, being able to use my hasp dongles and measuring devices is essential. At the moment support for these devices is very unreliable.

My hope was RC2 would fix these issues so I could go and order the full upgrade license for Desktop. Today when I start Desktop I get a message stating I need to upgrade within 5 days. That was the moment I took the step to install Boot Camp. Not very friendly to use but at least my USB devices WORK!

Until I will be able to connect to more then two USB devices from Desktop I will not upgrade and I will advice my collegues to also hold back from upgrading. I'm going to wait until this years WWDC to see what Leopard has to offer.

Hans

ps. I have never had any issue whatsoever with my USB devices on my Dell running VMWare.

2. netdog

netdog Hunter

Is it an Alladin HASP? Mine worked in Beta 6, failed in RC1, but works again in RC2. Be sure that you don't have the driver installed on the kernel in the Mac OS. Otherwise the Mac will grab it.

3. hans sep

hans sep Junior Member

Yes it's Alladin HASP. I would think that even if, and I say if because as far as I know no kernel extension has been installed, OS X would "grab" the dongle, it would be up to Desktop to grab it back and connect it, like in VMWare.

4. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

I once had that good fortune with beta 6, but after some installs of RC1 I am no longer able to get my HASP key to work in beta 6 or RC2 without using the disable/enable trick that has been talked about a number of times on the forum. netdog, I think you are the exception rather than the rule on this one.

5. xardoc'

xardoc' Bit poster

I've got an Alladin HASP which works fine with RC2 but I've desintalled it on the mac..

6. hans sep

hans sep Junior Member

Curious: what did you uninstall???

7. RogueWarrior65

RogueWarrior65 Bit poster

Game over, man! Game over!

Well, that's it for me. I'm done. Bootcamp here I come. The GA release doesn't fix my USB problems. Ka-blink, Ka-blink, Ka-blonk. Need I say more?

IMHO, this is a colossal busines error for Parallels to release this without solid USB support. Speaking from personal experience with releasing major apps with gaping holes, such mistakes can kill a company. Not only are the customers pissed off but trust is completely destroyed.