Usb

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nick083, Jun 15, 2006.

1. nick083

nick083 Member

Dear Parallels Users,

We're committed to provide the stable and bug-free products. Thank you very much for reporting us all the problems you encounter. There are a couple of threads in regards to USB support on the forum as well as messages in our support mailbox. Please be sure that we read and discuss all of them and that we are aware of the problems you experience with some devices.

Due to the large amount of your requests for GA version we forced the final release with the currently stable and proven USB support. We continue improving the product and will release updates. Have your autoupdate turned on to ensure that you always have the latest version installed.

We’re committed to deliver the great product which will suit all your needs.

Regards,
    Nick

2. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

These two statements seem to be in direct conflict. If Parallels truely believe WM5 and other USB support is coming soon then why force a release when they know it's not the final product they want?

3. tolaini

tolaini Junior Member

Where is this autoupdate flag? I can't find it anywhere!

4. urbanape

urbanape Bit poster

tolaini: under the Help menu, choose Check for Updates...

In that pane there is a switch for auto updating.

5. Xabi

Xabi Bit poster

Well, let's be patient. At least there is a will to do it.

6. Alakazam

Alakazam Bit poster

You've never worked in the software industry, have you? ;)

There are guys in suits running around having meeetings and screaming for PD to be released. In another room there's a pack of programmers who are spending too many freaking hours trying to track down all the bugs.

In another room is the marketing department who are pulling specs out of their @$$es and promising them to clients -- and the project manager has to go along with it because marketing has convinced those dorks in suits that it'll mean more $$$ if that feature is in place.

So then they have another meeting and give the programmers more features to implement -- and they also move the due date closer.

And you (a generic you, not necessarily meaning you personally) don't care because you just want your XYZ Peripheral to work, dammit!!!

Software development isn't an art, and it isn't a science. It's a battle between what should be and what is and the guys in the suits have the upper hand.

Six months ago we didn't even know about PD -- now most people are able to do necessary Winows-based activities without a real Windows machine. PD isn't perfect, but it'll continue to get better. Just give it a chance.

Jay

7. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

I am a software developer... have been for 10 years.

8. syntek

syntek Bit poster

sub-par USB support seems to be parallels biggest problem. i really do not want to load boot camp on my MBP, but until the virtual USB subsystem is improved to the point where it even can work sometimes, boot camp may be the only solution for those of us that need to do more in a windows environment then just load up microsoft office..

i havent been able to get ANY of my USB devices even seen by XP, anything I plug-in gives me that wonderful message that the device is in use and to wait 5-10 seconds... i haven't found any way to have OSX ignore these devices; despite the fact that OSX does not seem to even know what to do with them, such as my Motorola V3 RAZR, my iPaq 3970, and my PhatNoise car audio system.

:( :mad: :(

9. akac

akac Hunter

I'd agree that it is Parallels' biggest problem. However I can say that I personally do a full load of VS 2005 development for Windows Mobile and ARM emulators with zero issues. There is one thing I do require USB support (its a USB SmartCard for signing code), but I won't need that for another week and then after that a few months later. So until then I'll run that on another box I have sitting around, but I'm not happy about that.

10. mdkia

mdkia Bit poster

akac >
    are you the Pocket Informant man?:rolleyes:

11. akac

akac Hunter

Um, yes :)

12. IMNiles

IMNiles Junior Member

I can concur that development with the ppc/etc emulators seems to work great.. Please let me know how the USB signing thingy goes, though, because that's gonna bite me before too long, too.

13. wvdheiden

wvdheiden Junior Member

USB devices

It seems that only "normal" USB devices work, with normal I mean device that are used by thousands of people.
    I use debuggers for embedded systems (uLink/jLink/UDE) and they all use USB nowadays. And all of these devices cause my installed windows XP to produce an imidiate blue-screen (and keeps on doing that until I unlug the device)
    I could live with slow (The devices all use USB2) but blue-screens are definitely not usable.
    I hoped this thread would give some clues how to solve this but it seems that I only found more people with the same problem....

14. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

any idea when the next release will be out and it will support usb?