Guest OS Display Resolution Problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DHKaplan@mac.com, Nov 3, 2008.

1. DHKaplan@mac.com

DHKaplan@mac.com Bit poster

I've been running Parallels Desktop for a year or so on an iMac, and have just installed it on a new (Late 08) aluminum MacBook (OS X 10.5.5), with XP Pro Service Pack 2 on a Bootcamp partition. Parallels Desktop is build 5608.

Problem is screen resolution. I have an app that needs 1024 x 768 minimum. My OS X resolution is 1280 x 800.

In XP I can set (supposedly) set the resolution to 1024 x 768, and the system seems happy, but when I go to display settings again it tells me it is 1024 x 643. I can try to set it to 1600 x 1200, and it seems to apply, but when I check the display its 1211 x 643. I'm guessing the 643 is the maximum height the window can be set before running into the OS X dock, or some similar problem.

Is there any way to set the display to 1024 x 768??

Thanks... DHK

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

For Windows guest operating systems (starting from Windows 2000 and later), Parallels Tools
    make it possible to change screen resolution at runtime, simply by dragging the right corner of
    the guest OS window.
    Parallels Desktop allows you to define up to 10 different resolutions for a Windows virtual
    machine by using Configuration Editor. You can change resolution when the guest OS is
    running. Note that the lowest screen resolution available is 800x600.

Add a Screen Resolution you like:
    1 Open the virtual machine's Configuration Page and click any link to open the Configuration
    Editor.
    2 In the Configuration Editor, select Video in the Devices list.
    3 In the Screen Resolutions tab make sure the Enable custom screen resolutions option is selected.
    4 Click the Add button to open the Resolution Properties dialog.
    5 In the Resolution Properties dialog:

set the desired resolution options in the Width, pixels and Height, pixels fields;
    select the Enabled check box if you want this resolution to be available for selection in the
    guest OS;
    click OK.

6 Click OK in Configuration Editor.
    Changing Screen Resolution in Virtual Machine
    To change screen resolution:
    Start your virtual machine.
    Select the preferred resolution as it is usually done in your guest OS. The guest OS will
    prompt you to select one of the resolutions available in the Video (Screen Resolutions)
    tab for which the Enabled option is selected.
    If you have defined a non-typical resolution and do not see it in the list of available resolutions
    in the running guest OS, this means that your guest OS can not use this resolution.

3. DHKaplan@mac.com

DHKaplan@mac.com Bit poster

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I've already tried it, and the resolution desired is a standard one for the system. I did find after a Parallels Tech support communication, that with Parallels Tools uninstalled it works fine, and when I re-installed 'Tools the problem came back... waiting to here from them as well...

DHK

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you need it in Window mode you can try
    in Windows side

net stop cohrence

when you finish

net start cohrence

Note: you want be able to start Coherence while service stopped