Windows is suddenly eating disk space

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by heafnerj, Oct 24, 2008.

1. heafnerj

heafnerj Member

I had been running WinXP (with all updates) on an 8GB virtual disk and started getting low disk space warnings from Windows. I enlarged the virtual disk to 10GB and now Windows is eating up all but about 200MB of space and I'm once again getting the low disk space warnings. I've not installed any new applications. Why is this happening and how can I stop it from happening? It just suddenly started.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Disable System Restore on Windows side

3. heafnerj

heafnerj Member

It's off by default and Windows won't let me turn it on so I don't think that's the problem.

4. heafnerj

heafnerj Member

This is still a persistent problem under Parallels 3.x (latest build installed). I just tried updating Apple Safari and iTunes under Windows XP under Parallels and with the OS X desktop icon showing over 200MB free on the Windows disk, Windows still complained that there was only 14MB free on the disk and refused to install the iTunes/QuickTime update! Apparently Safari was successfully updated. There is no way in heck that ALL of a 10GB virtual disk is being taken up by the Windows XP image. I've tried every possible setting related to Windows' virtual memory and I still get low disk space and low virtual memory messages. This has been a persistent problem for about the last three Parallels 3.x updates. I've already switched to VirtualBox to run Linux because Parallels can't seem to do it any more and it looks as though I'll have to use VB to run Windows XP now.