GA BUG: compacting VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mikeshappell, Jun 15, 2006.

1. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

I have tried on two different VMs the VM Tools Compact option and in both cases the VM part of the compaction appears to work well. The VM is then terminated (drop back to the VM properties page) and the host side compaction completes successfully. When I start the VM and re-login, I find the root of the C: drive cluttered with large files (from the VM side compaction).

This did not use to be the case. In the past, the VM side would finish and the VM would pause while the host side compation completed. At the end all of the temp files would be removed.

Mike

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

1. Did you upgraded your Parallels Tools?
    2. Do you talk about Tools compact feature or Comprossor?

3. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

Yes, I have upgraded the tools. Interesting thing, in all the previous tool upgrades my setting for NOT having the shared folder icon on the desktop was lost. With this upgrade, there was no icon on the desktop at the end.

I am talking about compact using the tools (not compressor). I have since done another VM and this one appears to have done the "right" thing. It is not finished yet, it takes longer when it does it the right way.

Mike

4. Andrew @ Parallels

We can't reproduce this bug in our labs. Please try to do it again - will it reproduce in your environment?

5. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

OK, I went back to one of the VMs that failed the first time and tried again. This time it worked so it appears to be an intermittent issue. I am trying to compact the other VM that failed, we will see if it works. BTW, the reason I did not have a problem with the shared folder icon showing up on the desktop was that I now don't have a shared folder option in the tools dialog. Is that expected since I've not enabled shared folders for this VM?

Mike

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Shared Folder icon should appear on your guest desktop only in if Shared Folder option is enabled in Parallels Tools Center.