Parallels 4 supports which versions of Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mfox, Nov 11, 2008.

1. mfox

mfox Junior Member

I just got the notice of Parallels 4 being available. I searched the website and couldn't find any reference to the versions of Linux that are now supported. There was a reference in the promo literature to names of distros (Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora and one or two others, but not the versions of distros. I know I can download a demo and try it, but I'd like some inclination of what is supported before I go to the effort of doing this.

Aside from the version supported, I want to know if drag and drop is now supported in any version of Linux. Thanks.

2. markroedel

markroedel Bit poster

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/sr/ claims support for the following Linux guests:

Linux:
    CentOS 5.0 & 4.0
    SUSE Enterprise Server 10 SP2 & 9 SP3
    OpenSUSE 10.3 & 10.2
    Red Hat 9
    Red Hat Enterprise 5.0 & 4.0
    Debian 4.0
    Fedora Core 9, 8 & 7
    Mandriva 2008 & 2007
    Ubuntu 8.04 & 7.10
    Xandros Business 4.0

3. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

I can add Ubuntu 8.10 since I'm successfully using it and openSuse 11.0, same reason

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

yep, I mentioned in another thread that I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed without problems

5. mfox

mfox Junior Member

Is drag and drop of files from Mac to Linux guest supported in any or all of these distros?

6. John@Parallels

Not all in the same time :), we are working on it, and added shared folders.
    Worki is in progress and probably will be added in one of the subsequent updates

7. mfox

mfox Junior Member

Does shared folders currently work in any Linux distro?

8. John@Parallels

Yes, in any supported

9. mfox

mfox Junior Member

Sorry, I didn't mean shared folders; I meant drag and drop of files from/to virtual machine from/to Mac. This feature has been present in Windows virtual machines for awhile. Is it now implemented in any supported Linux distributions?

10. John@Parallels

I asked a post above,no in this release no, we are working to bring in the one of the updates, but I am not aware when

11. schwartz

schwartz Member

I can't get shared folders to work in Ubuntu 8.10

when I cd to /media/psf I see all the folders but get permission denied on all of them.

the permissions are wide open. (777)

I've tried to un-install and re-install parallels tools.

12. mfox

mfox Junior Member

I've had this happen before. The problem may be that you've given permission to open a folder, but not to the enclosed items. If you do a Get Information on the Folder, you'll see a wheel-looking icon at the bottom of the window; the option for enclosed items is there.

13. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

Where do I find an updated list?

The page for the German version does not mention version numbers for the Linux distros.