Whoa! Sudden Parallels crash

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mcg, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mcg

mcg Hunter

So I had Parallels running fullscreen in a Virtue Desktops screen, and I hit the hotkey sequence to exit fullscreen mode---and Parallels crashed! First time that has happened in a very, long time---perhaps ever, for me. I have attached the crash report that would normally have gone to Apple (and, just to be safe, I think I'll still send it.)

Attached Files:

2. krazzer

krazzer Junior Member

Having the same problem. My Parallels VM crashes when I leave XP fullscreen. No solution yet ,no answer to my post either... Tried the image on my iMac and my Macbook, both the same. PD crashes. I guess it must have something to do with the image then... Maybe some software that is incompatible with PD?

3. TDI

TDI Member

I get the same problem - every time - on my iMac.

Attempting to switch back to OS X from Windows in full screen mode crashes VM always. Worse still, it screws up my OS X desktop. All open Mac windows are moved and resized - very irritating. This makes the software totally unusable in my view, as full screen mode is the only usable way to run Windows.

I sent an email to Parallels about this (and several other problems) and got no response - very rude and unprofessional ! I'm sticking to Boot Camp !

4. krazzer

krazzer Junior Member

okay... i feel a little dull now.. found out what my problem was. I always pressed the apple key with the other ones to switch from fullscreen to windowed mode. Now I set the combination to "ctrl+alt+enter"... and NOT pressing the apple key... it switches now and does not crash anymore... sometimes the user is the error... but anyway, when I press apple+ctrl+enter PD should not crash, not? this solved it for me so far...

5. liven2

liven2 Bit poster

Having same issue

It seems to crash everytime when coming out of full screen on my macbook pro but not on my iBook. I noticed how you said you changed the hot keys to toggle back in forth form full screen. How did you do that. I do not see an area where that can be done... HELP?>:mad:

6. krazzer

krazzer Junior Member

I just changed the "Fullscreen Toggle Key Combination" in the preferences to Ctrl + Alt + Custom /Enter.. my mistake before was that I always pressed the Apple-Key with it. (Don't know why I thought pressing the AppleKey was necessary...) That made PD crash in my cases (on both iMac&Macbook).

7. SeaJeff

SeaJeff Bit poster

Woah- this is a lifesaver. Fantabulous. Makes Parallels work again for me.

I was experiencing this same problem (enter full screen in Windows XP, do work in XP, hit the default hot key out (command-enter, or command-alt-enter...) and it flips and ~poof~ parallels crashes with a SIG BUS error. It drove me crazy to the point that I reinstalled OSX from scratch, installed Parallels, and then installed a brand new Windows XP install. Still crashed! (Happens on my MacBook Pro 17" and my MacBook Pro 15").

I submitted a ticket to Parallels tech support last week and got an automated "thanks for sending this" message but no follow up or solutions.

So needless to say, this June 14 fix was superb.... Not sure of others are having this problem. but this does the trick. Remap the full screen hot keys to not include Command and you're set.

woot!

8. lewis_lips

lewis_lips Bit poster

Worked for me too. Thanks, you're a lifesaver.