Absolutely horrid support

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Martin Arant, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Martin Arant

Martin Arant Junior Member

I've now spent the better part of the day trying to get my "upgraded" Parallels 4.0 to work. I upgraded version 3 and converted my Windows XP VM. Upon starting the VM under 4.0 I now get a message immediately when Windows begins to boot "Unable to connect Hard Disk 1. A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

After looking through the support pages and finding nothing I called Parallels and explained I was out of business until I could get this problem solved. I was on the phone over 1/2 hour with someone who would hardly speak English and knew nothing about the product. He kept putting me on hold to "check with someone about this." Finally I asked to speak to his supervisor and he put me on hold for another 10 minutes. Then I was disconnected!

I see another user here has the same problem. Right now I just want to reinstall version 3 but the last time I upgraded and had a problem installing the previous version from Time Machine would not work due to some missing library files. Can anyone help or suggest a solution?

Martin

2. John Miles

John Miles Junior Member

Yep, Martin, I have same probs and thinking of going back to V3 too as it looks like V4 is just far to creaky an upgrade.
    We may solve this one only to hit more later.
    I checked the backup option during upgrade...have you seen any help on how to get back to V3?
    John

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  3. plazmyd

plazmyd Junior Member

Bump. I am getting the same error message about not having permissions. I had it up and running at one point. I quit XP to adjust the settings. Upon trying to start up from my boot camp partition after changing the settings I got the permissions error.

Parallels, can you get on this?

4. Martin Arant

Let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same. Right now I just want to be able to access quickbooks... as I'm totally out of business until I can either access my VM or return to version 3

Martin

5. Jason Lawrence

Jason Lawrence Junior Member

I posted another thread in the beta forum, but here's some details on the issue...

I receive the following error message when I try to start up using a Windows XP Boot Camp partition:

"Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.

A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

Assuming it's permissions, what should I set them to? Below are the current permissions for all /dev/disk* devices.

$ ls -l disk*
    brw-r----- 1 root operator 14, 0 Nov 11 11:50 disk0
    brw-r----- 1 root operator 14, 1 Nov 11 11:50 disk0s1
    brw-r----- 1 root operator 14, 2 Nov 11 11:50 disk0s2
    brw-r----- 1 root operator 14, 3 Nov 11 11:50 disk0s3
    brw-r----- 1 USER operator 14, 4 Nov 11 11:50 disk1
    brw-r----- 1 USER operator 14, 5 Nov 11 11:50 disk1s1
    brw-r----- 1 USER operator 14, 6 Nov 11 11:50 disk1s2

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

should be root operator for disk 1

7. Martin Arant

Can you tell me what this "means." how do you set it?

Martin

8. Jason Lawrence

Updated, no difference. Do group permissions need to be modified?

Also, the Boot Camp partition is disk0s3, I believe.

9. John@Parallels

Please put here diskutil list output

10. Jason Lawrence

Ignoring the second drive, as it's external...

$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *186.3 Gi disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 104.9 Gi disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data 81.1 Gi disk0s3

11. Jason Lawrence

Do you have an example of correct permissions for a working Boot Camp drive? I'm not prompted for a password when starting the VM.

12. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I had the same issue with a Bootcamp VM, I ended up deleting all my VMs via Parallels and generating a completely fresh Bootcamp VM. Since then I "at least" have no Harddisk 1 issues anymore.

13. John@Parallels

Nope, is there any NTFS or FAT on second drive, what happens when you remove that drive?

14. Jason Lawrence

No, second drive is an external USB drive for Time Machine backups. No NTFS/FAT anywhere but the Boot Camp partition.

15. Jason Lawrence

I created a new VM, and it boots for now. It would be nice to know what broke, though.

16. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Yes indeed. Converting is broken as it seems.

17. Martin Arant

John

Do you have any suggestions on this... as I'm really stuck. I'm not using boot camp but a virtual VM. Also... I have too many programs installed in Windows XP to create another VM.

Martin

18. John@Parallels

Indeed , try to create new VM, if Boot Camp

19. Martin Arant

The first thing I said in my post is that I am NOT using boot camp <G>

Martin

20. John Miles

John Miles Junior Member

For me a new VM on Bootcamp gives me the HAL.DLL missing error of the original update.
    J