Parallels 4.0 won't start WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by raka, Nov 11, 2008.

1. raka

raka Junior Member

Hello.

I have a Problem with Parallels 4.0. Ok, i have uninstalled the previous 3.0 first and installed the Parallels 4.0 Upgrade. After that, Parallels 4.0 has to upgrade the "old" 3.0 XP Image (Step 1-4). But at the end, 4.0 starts up for a Second and quits without Error Message! I made a new Config for XP with the upgraded Image File but with the same result. Windows starts up end shuts down. If i start the VM, 4.0 upgrade the Image File again! After Step1 Windows starts up again und shut down. Can anyone help me?

Ralf.

Machine: MacPro 2.0 Dual Xeon, 6GB RAM, 512 ATI 3870

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. raka

raka Junior Member

On both Websites is not a Solution for this "Problem". Parallels 4.0 can't upgrade the existing 3.0 VM, because the Progress bar stopped at (maybe) 20%. The Upgrade stopped and WindowsXP starts for a second, then the VM stopped and shows the black XP Screen. That's absolutely annoying, because the Migration from 2.x to 3.0 was easy and fast. Without any Problems.

Machine: MacPro 2x2.0 Xeon, 6GB RAM, 512MB ATI3870HD, 500GB Harddisk.

4. John@Parallels

What is error?

5. chartan

chartan Bit poster

I have the same problem over here:
    - migration started (step 1 of 4)
    - then switched to manual mode where the parallels installer ran in windows xp
    - after a while (don't remember when) I just have a black screen, showing windows stopped
    - when I start the virtual machine the migration process starts again at 1
    - then it seems windows tries to start and during a second you can see the "terminal" text lines in windows. I think it reads like "if you want to start up normally, press ..."
    - after that second, the virtual machine stops

6. bhilton

bhilton Bit poster

also having problem

Count me in as another user with the same problem. I allowed the upgrade process to proceed. It mentioned something about manual upgrade and continued working. At some point, the Parallels window went black or showed the default Windows XP window. I pressed Start and the upgrade process resumes. After about 20 seconds, I see what looks like the Windows SAFE Boot screen with several options before the parallels window goes back to the default Windows XP screen. It looks like windows was not shut down correctly and wants to start in safe mode, but of course the upgrade process does not allow manual intervention in the windows boot sequence.

7. uskoeln

uskoeln Bit poster

the same problem comes up here

there is nothing to add - just the fact, if you set up the start in full screen mode, XP asks you weather you want to proceed in safe or normal mode.

In both cases XP is running for a while - than black screen for a second or less - the end.

Hope there will be a hint or better a solution.

Uwe, Germany

8. oldefortran

oldefortran Bit poster

Unable to connect Hard Disk 1

Same problem being reflected elsewhere.
    Converted an SP3 virtual machine, upon starting up the VM get the 'Unable to Connect Hard Disk 1' message others are seeing.

My entire work afternoon has been shot after I wasted the money on the 4.0 upgrade. Really not happy with this.
    From consensus, it sounds like the converter is seriously messed up.

9. Zippy

Zippy Member

I'd hate to say "me too" ...

but I'm getting the same error! I backed up the old disk image (fortunately) and went ahead with the update. I got to the do you want to manually install and said yes. All goes well, uninstalling Kapersky etc then installing Parallels tools. Then it all went black with a Windows XP logo in the middle of the screen. Hitting the start button gets me into he installation again, starting at step one. There is a brief flash of the text screen asking about Safe Boot and Windows returns to logo-on-black.
    I managed to force it into manual mode again using ctrl-alt-cmd-R as mentioned elsewhere, but there is the same problem.
    I need help with this. I was looking forward to Parallels 4 having migrateed from VMWare Fusion. I have Crossover and Fusion waiting in the wings ......

10. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

Where do I start?

Same problem except I got about to the end of step 2 (of 4), and got message that the virtual machine couldn't be updated, and that I should go to the installation instruction page (where it sent me automatically). There was no answer there. I can't install Parallels Tools at all. My mouse and keyboard will not operate in the virtual machine, which is an especially large problem since it wants to reinstall all my hardware drivers and I can't respond to it. Fortunately, I backed up version 3, but this is not going well at all! Is there a solution?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  11. TonyMoroney

TonyMoroney Junior Member

And Another One

I've found myself in the upgrade loop too. Upgrade failed at stage 2 told me to go manual. Now I'm stuck in the BSOD loop. The BSOD gives the good old Windows message STOP ERROR "Hardware not ACPI Compliant Please Visit hardware-upgrade.com or contact your hardware vendor" also something about hitting F7.

It's only on the screen for a few seconds, so my apologies if I don't have the details exactly right. Then it simply reboots back to the safe boot options screen. Suffice to say my perfectly good Windows VM is now SNAFU, strange deja-vu feelings from when I upgraded to V3 parallels.

Perhaps we should all work together and see if we can convince the VC Investors to hire a Software QA and Test Team in the next round of funding?

>:-(

12. ahoutzer@mindspring.com

ahoutzer@mindspring.com Bit poster

Same problem here.

Tried to perform upgrade, didn't make it past step one before fading back to the XP splash screen and stopped the booting process.

This VM was working in version 3.0 this afternoon, then I shut down Windows in version 3.0 before upgrading Parallels to version 4.0. Now when I start the VM, I get "Preparing to upgrade your virtual machine (step 1 of 4), then a black screen that looks like Windows screen where you choose whether to start normally or safe mode or safe mode with networking, but in less than one second that is replaced with the VM's WindowsXP splash screen (the same one that displays before clicking the Start button for the VM). Nothing works.

This is miserable.

13. TonyMoroney

BSOD Followup

I've attached the screen shot of the BSOD

T

Attached Files:

• BSOD.jpg
      BSOD.jpg
      File size:
      126.9 KB
      Views:
  14. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

Better the second time

Well, I reinstalled version 4, letting it (presumably) delete the first v. 4 installation during this second installation since it claims to remove existing Parallels installations. It seems to be working now. The mouse and keyboard are now working in the VM window, and I was able to install Parallels Tools manually. I am also now able to pull up old files and run programs that worked in v. 3 without a problem.

One question remains. When I start Parallels, I get the option to start either of two virtual machines- one for Windows XP showing the Windows logo, and one for Windows XP showing the version 3 Parallels logo. When I click on the latter, it goes to the convert/backup or convert screen. Is the latter option there because I backed up my v. 3 when installing v. 4 or is this something I can make go away?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  15. RyanH

RyanH Bit poster

This is EXACTLY the same issue I am having. I tried the control+command+option+r sequence and tried to start windows but the same thing happens - doesn't boot and goes back to the beginning splash screen. I KNEW I should have waited on the upgrade. Parallels team - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX THE CONVERTER!!! I am dead in the water now.

16. John@Parallels

Right now you can fix it if you have Parallels Desktop version 3, and create new Vm with that HDD, and perform normal Windows shutdown.
    After that you can upgrade to PD4

17. eread

eread Member

I have had similar problems.

I have upgraded my bootcamp partition (but took a while because each of the four upgrade processes required me to "go manual" and then, when I'd gone in and progressed the installation screen that was holding things up, it'd take control with the automated process again).

Having go upgraded, Windows complained it needed reactivation but I fixed that with the old gem of giving the virtual network card the same MAC address as the physical card - which is what my Boot Camp VM is expecting.

However, now, Parallels complains I don't have permissions to access the boot camp partition, and so can't boot. I am still working through that (perhaps the answer is out there somewhere).

My suggestion, from my upgrade experience, is to drop the "auto upgrade" process, or at least make it much easier to back out of (it took me 30 minutes to notice the little lock icon - which didn't come up for stage 4 of 4 so I had to wait until things timed out). Auto vs Manual upgrade needs to be an option.

Also, I like being able to configure a the VMs while they are running (and have the changes take effect on next restart). I don't like the warning you get when you change the config while a VM is running (found the wording a bit confusing). I'd just put up a notice saying "your changes will be applied next time you start/restart the guest".

Thanks.

18. RyanH

RyanH Bit poster

What do you mean? Re-install Parallels version 3 while somehow using the existing XP machine that will no longer start? How can I "create" a new VM with that existing, failed to update VM?

Do you have instructions for this? I'm confused.

19. TonyMoroney

Nice!! Except the V4 installer makes you uninstall V3 before v4 installs. So let make sure I got this right.

Step 1. Uninstall v3 whilst installing v4
    Step 2. Installation screws up
    Step 3. Uninstall v4
    Step 4. Reinstall v3
    Step 5. Re-add (hopefully non-corrupt XP Image)
    Step 6. Shutdown Windows properly
    Step 7. Reinstall v4
    Step 8. Watch Upgrade Fail Again.
    Step 9. Begin from Step 1 again??

Just so I don't miss any steps ??

Thanks

T.

20. John@Parallels

Backup Vm before conversion,of course is missing, my suggestion is quick step, developers already working