use of upgrade license

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by duckofprey, Nov 11, 2008.

1. duckofprey

duckofprey Bit poster

Hi,

Short question about using the upgrade cd key.

I have the cd key for Parallels 3.0 and an upgrade key for 4.0. When I choose to wipe my hard drive or something and reinstall everything, can I install 4.0 without the 3.0 and use the 4.0 upgrade key? Or would I have to install 3.0 then upgrade to 4.0 for the key to work?

Thanks?

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

You can install clean 4.0 and then activate it using 4.0 Upgrade key + 3.0 permanent key.
    You do not need to have 3.0 installed to use your upgrade key.

3. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

One important note:
    your keys should have the same locale -
    1) EN Upgrade 4.0 Key & EN Permanent 3.0 Key
    2) DE Upgrade 4.0 Key & DE Permanent 3.0 Key
    etc.

4. markroedel

markroedel Bit poster

My 3.0 license was also an upgrade license. Should that key be working when the 4.0 upgrade asks for my previous activation key (it doesn't appear to be currently), or do I need to find my original 2.x install cd?

5. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

My question, too!

I am also doing an "upgrade of an upgrade". So I have:

2.x full key,
    3.0 upgrade key, and
    4.0 upgrade key.

I kept all the license keys so far, but I deleted the dmg files of the old (2.x) builds of Parallels. Will I be able to install Parallels fresh in the future? Will I then have to supply the keys in sequence? If I stay loyal to your product for a few years, will I need to keep *all* intermediate keys?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. markroedel

markroedel Bit poster

Looks like the official answer is over at
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31152

If you're doing an upgrade of an upgrade, you do need the original/permanent activation code, not your previous upgrade code. Parallels customer service may be able to help you retrieve that code if you're not able to put your hands on it easily.

7. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

Well, the problem is that the "official answer" includes the text:

If you perform fresh installation of Parallels Desktop version 4 you need to use permannent (full) Parallels Desktop version 4 license key.

So, if I only have the upgrade keys for 3.0 and 4.0 and a full key for 2.x do I always need to install 2.x first (I deleted the 2.x .dmg file, so I cannot really do it)? Or is it possible, contrary to the above statement, but along the lines of the answer in this Forum, to install PD 4.0 fresh and feed it with my full 2.x key and then the upgrade key(s)? I would appreciate a comment from Parallels.

8. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

There is no need to install previous versions of Parallels Desktop, if you're going to perform fresh installation of Parallels Desktop 4.0 then just perform a fresh installation . All mentions of previous versions are only related to license keys. If you have 3.0 upgrade key then to activate Parallels Desktop 4.0 you will also need the 2.0 permanent key. If you have 3.0 permanent key then all you should have is 3.0 permanent and 4.0 upgrade keys.

2 Maciej

In case if you've lost any of your keys there are two options -- find it on your Mac using this KB article and if it's not there you can request it from Parallels Online Sales support (note your Parallels Desktop copy should be registered on our web-site)