How to unistall failed V4 and restore V3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by John Miles, Nov 11, 2008.

1. John Miles

John Miles Junior Member

I think I need to revert to V3 and give up on V4. Anyone got a step by step guide to doing this.
    I did select the backup VM option on upgrade and have a 38Mb folder of stuff safely stored.
    Thanks,
    John

2. dragonhh

dragonhh Bit poster

HEEAYYYYY SUPPORT

How we can all go back to Version 3.0. We have the Backup but explain how we can get back.
    Here are Company which work with Windows and we lost our money.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you have backup, just remove PD4 and install PD3, restore backup to the same place

4. dragonhh

dragonhh Bit poster

And how get i back my money?

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

6. Smith Erick

Smith Erick Bit poster

If I have the BSOD autochk error and constant reboot. Can i still reinstall V3 and it will work? or is my partition fried?

7. John Miles

John Miles Junior Member

With my probs on a Boot Camp VM the uninstall and reinstall worked ok.
    BUT to get V3 to start ok I didn't start the restored VM. I had to start V3 with no 'Parallels' folder in Documents at all. It then made a new Boot Camp VM in a new 'Parallels' folder.
    J

8. Smith Erick

Smith Erick Bit poster

If I have the BSOD autochk error and constant reboot. Can i still reinstall V3 and it will work? or is my partition fried?

9. pkluyt

pkluyt Bit poster

I just used the uninstall Parallels on the V4 image, reinstalled V3 and then moved the .pvs file and the Windows Disks and Windows Applications folders that in my case were in the Parallels folder in a backup folder in my Documents folder out of the backup folder into the Parallels folder itself. When I started using the .pvs file Parallels worked fine. I did have to reinstall the Parallels tools in Windows (XP) though.

Best regards, Peter

10. paneque

paneque Junior Member

I just uninstalled v4 and reinstalled V3. when I copy the files from my backup of v3 i did before installing V4 (external hd) it tells me there is no enough room to copy!!!!!!!!!! this is crazy!???*&^%

11. paneque

paneque Junior Member

help help help help help please help. My business is down!!!!!!!! How can it be that prior to installing V4 i had plenty of HDD space to run V3. Now that i backed up V3 and installed V4 and uninstalled V4 and reinstalled V3 I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH HDD SPACE TO RESTORE MY V3 which i'd backed up!>>>!!!!!!!!

does any one have and answer!

Thank you,

robert

12. paneque

paneque Junior Member

these are the files on the "backup" disk

1) Microsoft Windows XP.pvs ----- 4kb
    2) unattended.fdd ----- 1.4mb
    3) winxp.hdd ------ 23.47gb
    4) Windows Disk (folder) ----- 12 kb
    a) C (folder) ------ 4 kb
    5) Windows App (folder) ------ 244 kb
    a) Windows Explorer ------ 244 kb

how do I restore this?

robert

13. pythonzz

pythonzz Parallels Team

Right click on .hdd file -> Sjhow package contents, drag out .hds file, rename it to .hdd file and point Parallels desktop 3 to this file while creating a new virtuial; machine using custom method( use existing hdd file.)