4.0 upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by schnide, Nov 11, 2008.

1. schnide

schnide Junior Member

I have upgraded both my XP and Vista virtual machines. I ran in to the same problem on both while upgrading. The big splash that comes up during the tools installs blocks the screen so i can't see the problems that cause the upgrade to fail. I then restart the tools install and am able to get them installed and the upgrade to finish. There should be an option not to have the virtual machine screen covered with the advertisements and feature enhancement information while an upgrade process is taking place. The user should be able to interact with the guest OS while the tools install takes place in case responding to a dialog is required.
    There is also the issue of Windows trying to deal with the 'new' devices it finds. The instructions should be very expilict about doing those first or canceling them.

The other item is the documentation. I went to http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/documentation/ and did not see updated docs for 4.0 and they were not included on the dmg. There appears to be new options in configuration (advanced) that do not appear to be addressed in the older documentation.

2. rogershields

rogershields Junior Member

I have a different issue. In upgrading my XP VM, I get the "You need to manually install" message. When I try to start the My Boot Camp VM I get the blue screen saying Windows had to shut down, check for viruses, run chkdsk etc. Unfortunately it disappears too fast for me to read the error message details.

Any ideas?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

4. aak

aak Member

Hi!
    There is magic keys combination you can use during VM upgrade in order to remove splash screen:
    Control+Command+Option+R
    Yet we strongly recommend to use it only in 'emergency' situations.

As for Windows truing to install 'new' devices. You should cancel all those warnings.

There is quick documentation and troubleshooting for VM's upgrades:
    http://www.parallels.com/support/pdfm4-upgrade-en_US

5. rogershields

I don't see anything in the troubleshooting guide that addresses the issue of a bluescreen failure to start Windows. I get the message "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer", so it never starts, and the VM is not upgraded. I have tried Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration without success.

6. John@Parallels

What is BSOD screenshot?

7. ekfaith

ekfaith Bit poster

upgrade fails from 3.x to 4.x

I am in somewhat the same boat. Fortunately I did back up my 3.x version before I started. I purchased 4.x this morning and have been pulling out my hair since. As of right now I can't re-install 3.x. During the upgrade to 4, I received the error, Unable to upgrade the virtual machine: An error occurred when upgrading the virtual machine. Follow "this link" to learn hot to complete the upgrade process. The link is no help. It's what I used the first time it failed. http://kb.parallels.com/en/5718
    I click okay and then am greeted with a vista screen that says: Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver. I click install this driver software anyway...it tries to run but pops back up with the same error. I would think that Parallels would have tested this before a public release...it seems pretty basic...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  8. rogershields

see attached

Attached Files:

9. John@Parallels

Did yo clicked several time all drivers to be installed, also if you have antivirus please remove it, before continue

10. DarronF

DarronF Bit poster

On phone with Parallels Support...

I am on the phone right now with Parallels support b/c I just upgraded and am getting the same error where you cannot convert the virtual machine.

Now, I am at work (my bad for thinking this would go smoothly) and I need Parallels up and running. I do not have the 3.0 software with me here and would have to go back home to get it. A wasted day for my client.

I asked Parallels support if they could point me to where I could download the 3.0 version and they told me that I am no longer legally allowed to install the 3.0 software and recommended that I do the following:

1. Google online to download 3.0 from a 3rd Party -- I'm not doing that!!! That's not safe!!!

2. Post a message here in the forum. OK. I'll let everybody know of the ridiculous situation you have put me in with your buggy software. Not cool Parallels!

Darron.

11. DarronF

DarronF Bit poster

Breakthrough?

I may have found the problem -- not enough free disk space to complete the upgrade.

I put a copy of one of my VM's on a external drive that has more space and started the upgrade process. I'll let you know how it goes...

But, still. SHAME ON YOU PARALLELS!!!

12. John@Parallels

I really apologize for this case, I asked developers to take a look in this situation

13. aaltieri

aaltieri Member

Upgrading VM hangs in windows

I'm having different problems with a win2k VM.

It worked fine this morning in 3.0. I shut it down and backed it up. Installed 4.0 and tried to run the update. I end up having to run it manually.

My problem is that it looks like the old version of Parallels tools is still loading and causing problems. As soon as I log in, It tries to load the VGA driver. If I let it sit for a while, the Parallels tools icon pops up in the system tray. Then the VM hangs.

Sometimes I can get to where I can hit cancel. But since I can't boot into safe mode, my only option now is to revert to 3.0, remove ptools, upgrade again, then try it again. This seems...uhm...just...wow.

Again, this worked fine on 3.0 just a couple hours ago.

I was really hoping this would fix the Java screen draw and the caps lock issue. But I'm not sure that paying this much for an update when Fuze updates are free...This may be the experience that sends me to VMware.

14. DarronF

DarronF Bit poster

I had a similar experience, except I got a little further. I canceled the VGA Driver search and choose the menu option to Install Parallels Tools. At that point, it kicked me back to the Virtual Machine Upgrader screen and continued. It's still running now but making progress. I'll let you know how it goes... It just finished and is booting my XP VM...

Darron.

15. DarronF

DarronF Bit poster

Ok. It seems to be working, but I did this with a base XP install VM that I seed all my new VM's with. I am prepping the one that gave me the problems. The one that I need for work. Let's hope upgrading it on the external (extra disk space) will do the trick. I'm duplicating my 3.0 VM file for that VM now as a backup. Takes a while. Will let you know how it goes...

Darron.

16. darkakira

darkakira Junior Member

What a coincidence! I HAVE ISSUES TOO!!!!

Tried to perform upgrade, didn't make it past step one before fading back to the XP splash screen and stopped the booting YAY!

Last time system was shutdown, parallels like... froze (3.0), so I had to select option to boot up. Here's the fun part. I can't select the option for Normal/Last Known.../Safe/etc. It flashes for a split second, then goes to splash screen and I haev to try to start OS again.

Now... Using magic key sequence, and making it go manual, I can get to that menu and interact. HOWEVER, parallels stops loading the OS. I select and option, it does the bottom loading bar thing, and then BAM! Fade to splash logo. YAY for terrible!

Any suggestions? Cause I am at work, need to get into parallels, and it's not happening. Not cool guys.

17. DarronF

DarronF Bit poster

Ok. I dupe'ed my work XP VM onto an external with extra space and it's upgrading now. Hopefully it all runs smoothly from here.

Darron.

18. DarronF

DarronF Bit poster

Turns out that the setup.exe autorun occurred without needing to Install Parallels Tools. Once I canceled the VGA Driver install, it popped up immediately on the 2nd VM I am converting now.

19. ekfaith

ekfaith Bit poster

driver authorization

Has nothing to do with antivirus...but yes I did remove it. It appears to be that the parallels drivers are not registered with Microcrap...I'm back on 3.x and asking for a refund of 4.0 until its stable... Right now it's a piece of Shiznet!

20. ahoutzer@mindspring.com

ahoutzer@mindspring.com Bit poster

Won't even try to boot

I have the situation that dakakira has:

Tried to perform upgrade, didn't make it past step one before fading back to the XP splash screen and stopped the booting process.

This VM was working in version 3.0 this afternoon, then I shut down Windows in version 3.0 before upgrading Parallels to version 4.0. Now when I start the VM, I get "Preparing to upgrade your virtual machine (step 1 of 4), then a black screen that looks like Windows screen where you choose whether to start normally or safe mode or safe mode with networking, but in less than one second that is replaced with the VM's WindowsXP splash screen (the same one that displays before clicking the Start button for the VM). Nothing works.

This is miserable.