Error Upgrading: "Not enough storage is available"

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by brkirch, Nov 11, 2008.

1. brkirch

brkirch Pro

When trying to upgrade a Parallels Desktop 3.0 VM in Parallels Desktop 4.0, the installation fails because the "VM Additions PS/2 Port Mouse" driver install fails with the error "Not enough storage is available to process this command.". There is 62.4 GB available on the virtual disk and over 200 GB available on the host disk, so I'm not sure what is causing this problem or how to go about fixing it. I tried increasing the RAM available to the virtual machine from 512 MB to 1024 MB in the hopes that it might just be a lack of RAM, but the problem still occurs.

Edit: If you are having this problem, a solution has been found:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5735

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. cwhatley

cwhatley Bit poster

Same thing here! I've uninstalled the driver and rebooted. Nothing works. This is an XP guest with all current patches.

3. Birger

Birger Bit poster

Same problem VM additions unable to install

Let me chime in on this one. Very much the same issue as original post above. VM install gets "rolled back" and I cant get any further. XP professional SP2 all latest updates.

Updated from Parallels 3 build 5608 which has been working fine "for ages" to version4.0 today. OSX 10.5.5 MacBook Pro 17" 3Gb ram, 9Gb free on parallels image, 35Gb free on OSX.

Any suggestions ? Wasted 6 hours by now and I need it working again asap...

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. eplantz

eplantz Bit poster

me too!!!

I upgraded Vista SP1 and it went very smoothly. I upgraded Windows 2000 Pro and that was good also.

But, in my XP Pro, the mouse is pretty much dead because the Parallels Tools fails with "not enough storage" message and rolls back and reboots.

otherwise, XP runs and seems fairly intact.

any solutions on getting Parallels Tools torun???????

5. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

From what I've been told previously, Parallels Tools will attempt to install itself any time it is not installed or an update is present.

I am not sure if insufficient disk space refers to the VM or the Primary OS. Before you convert, you might compress your VM to reduce the disk space used in the back-up and conversion process.

If after the conversion, you might restart your machine to clear out the virtual memory and free up disk space. Then try to run again.

Do any of thee work?

6. OpenGLGuy

OpenGLGuy Bit poster

Workaround for mouse

Having the same problem where Parallels Tools won't install the mouse driver. I was able to work around the no mouse problem by plugging in an external USB mouse into my Macbook Pro so at least I can use a mouse in my virtual machine, but still can not successfully install the tools.

7. awgrin

awgrin Bit poster

Me too!

I just wanted to add my name to the petition.

"not enough storage is available to process this command...."

In addition, I used the Image Tool to increase this disk size.

Still having problems installing the Parallel tools into XP.

8. pmercier

pmercier Bit poster

Unable to install Parallels Tools

Issue:

As others on this forum have already reported, I am unable to get the Parallels Tools installation to complete due to an "VM Additions PS/2 Port Mouse" driver install error (see attached screenshot).

Like others, I upgraded from Parallels 3 to 4, and the virtual machine used in Parallels 3 was originally converted from Microsoft Virtual PC 7. There is some talk in these and other forums that the problem may be related to the VM Additions component that remained in Windows from VPC7, however, there is no way of removing this while in Parallels.

I have tried restarting the VM, as well as retrying the installation of the parallels tools, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Configuration:

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac Build 4.0.3522
    iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    No Bootcamp
    Upgraded from Parallels 3 (latest build as of Nov 11, 2008)
    Parallels Tools not installed as installation failed (see issue description above)
    1024 RAM alloted to virtual machine
    Virtual machine is Windows XP Professional SP3

Attached Files:

9. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Seems that is probably why then, the VM with this issue has VM Additions installed and it won't uninstall. Anyone from Parallels want to help us with this?

10. eliotw

eliotw Member

I was able to manually upgrade my XP Pro SP3 VM without seeing this issue. So it's not strictly a XP Pro problem.

My XP VM was freshly installed under Parallels 3, that does leave open the VPC7 side effect possibility mentioned.

-E

11. brkirch

brkirch Pro

12. awgrin

awgrin Bit poster

That works! Using the Transporter and copy the VM out... But it is not for the faint of heart. I had to work on it for some time. Parallels would stall because XP was hanging on a window request. Select the 'Lock Icon' (manual update? yes), answer the XP issue and the install will continue on.

13. eplantz

eplantz Bit poster

I can report the Transporter processing (mentioned above) works.

It is time-consuming and may be a problem for some systems as you need enough free OSX disk space to hold a second copy of your VM.

In addition, after the Transporter finishes, the VM conversion has to take place all over again. So, in my case (small XP drive), it took Transporter 15 minutes to make a copy and then 25 minutes for the conversion.

My XP probably did come over from VPC7. It now works OK but this is a problem for some of my clients who have large VMs and may not have enough disk space to make a copy.

14. Graham Lindsay

Graham Lindsay Bit poster

re: Error Upgrading: Not enough storage is available

I too experienced this exact issue, and I too upgraded from a Virtual PC VM7 file, via Parallels 3. I have reported this issue, but have yet to hear from Parallels.

15. sparcarch

sparcarch Bit poster

Clarification on Transporter

Can you be more specific on the fix? Did you put the original Version 3 VM through the Transporter or the Version 4 VM. Transporter doesn't show either one as an option unless I make it show all files. Do I assume you are using the Desktop 4 Transporter and ot the Desktop 3 version?

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've just found KB article about Virtual PC Mouse problem.
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5735
    As far as I know some developers actively work on problem..

17. jlefevre1

jlefevre1 Junior Member

Mouse and Storage

The above shows exactly what I am experiencing. It is my office computer so I will try that on Monday. Had enough fun with windows for one day.

18. awgrin

awgrin Bit poster

READ THIS!!! IT IN THIS FORUM. IT'S A PRETTY GOOD DESCRIPTION OF THE WORK AROUND USING TRANSPORTER

Possible Solution To Parallels 4 Upgrade Problems
    by sharkmeat

19. GOEran

GOEran Bit poster

20. Graham Lindsay

Graham Lindsay Bit poster