Upgraded to 4.0 - No response from Keyboard or Mouse now

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by qphayes, Nov 11, 2008.

1. qphayes

qphayes Bit poster

I have upgraded my PD from 3 to 4. It worked fine before, but now, I launch XP and I can't click on anything in windows. It sees the mouse, as the pointer turns to white as I go over the XP window, but I can't click on anything. I have tried disconnecting the mouse and reconnecting, at which point, XP tells me it has detected new hardware, I tell it to associate it with XP and not the mac, and then I can't move the mouse at all until I disconnect it and reconnect it telling it to connect to OS X again.

I am using an iMac 2.8 Core 2 Duo with 4 gb RAM. I am using a virtual drive that was upgraded in version 3.0 from a VirtualPC drive.

2. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

This happened to me in a previous release. Shutting down the VM and restarting Parallels did the trick. Does that work for you?

3. qphayes

qphayes Bit poster

I have tried shutting it down, restarting the computer.

4. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

Once the VM is up and running, install Parallels Tools from the VM menu. Some have needed a second installation for complete, functional VM.

5. nall

nall Bit poster

I am seeing this same behavior after I press either Ctrl (control) or Alt/Option inside the VM. This isn't pressing a key combo -- I'm just pressing the Ctrl key by itself. After that, the mouse inside the VM turns white, but neither mouse nor keyboard input actually does anything in the VM.

The guest OS is WinXP/SP2 on a BootCamp partition.
    I upgraded from 3.0, which worked just fine.
    I've installed the VM tools in 4.0 twice.

In Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager, my Keyboard is marked as Unknown Device.

I was never asked to reactivate WinXP.

Parallels, please provide some advice as to how to fix this.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  6. nall

nall Bit poster

I solved this for myself.

From Device Manager, I clicked on the keyboard device and updated the driver. This caused the mouse click to stop working, so I reinstalled VM Tools. After this all is working as expected.

Could someone confirm their device manager looks like this:
    http://skitch.com/nall/5m48/pd4-key-mouse

7. eliotw

eliotw Member

nall -- mine looks just like that and it's working fine (XP Pro SP3).

8. qphayes

qphayes Bit poster

It won't even try to install the Tools again... It just sits there for a bit, then if I go back into the menu again, I can try and install it again, but still nothing happens.

9. mdobbins

mdobbins Bit poster

Same here, no response no matter what I have tried! Useless as it stands, back to Fusion.

10. mdobbins

mdobbins Bit poster

FIXED:
    1. Under DEVICES: connect Apple Keyboard
    2. Tab around to Control Panel, Add/Remove Software: remove Parallels Tools.
    3. On reboot, mouse will work but is trapped in window.
    4. Find CD drive (Tool iso image should already be there) and open image
    5. Run Tools install
    Seem to be working, but had to remove keyboard from USB devices in order to type this!

11. mdobbins

mdobbins Bit poster

CONFIRMED: all is well. No need to check Apple Keyboard under devices now and everything is working.

12. qphayes

qphayes Bit poster

That might work, if I didn't have a huge Parallels screen asking if I want to install an Antivirus software in front of it so that I can't see what was going on.

13. Paul Ruseau

Paul Ruseau Bit poster

All solutions fail when you have your Windows setup with a login!

All the solutions involve using the Windows OS to fix the keyboard drivers issue - but if you have a login prompt - you can't ever get there.

Anyone figure out how to get their keyboard and mouse to respond simply by doing something, anything! to Parallels?

Several days since I opened a ticket which was escalated, yet no one has called or emailed me (other than the statement that the ticket was opened) for any details they would surely need to deal with the issue. I guess they will just hope I downgrade to version 3?

14. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear Paul Ruseau,

Have you got this issue after upgrade to Parallels Desktop 4?
    Do you have back up of your Virtual machine?
    In case you have it:

uninstall Parallels Desktop 4.0 and install Parallels Desktop 3.0 (http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg)

Start your Vurtial Machine and uninstall all anti-virus software and Parallels Tools (add or remove programs -> remove)

After that download the latest buld of Parallels Desktop from our website ( or start the one you have on your Mac)
    Install Parallels Desktop 4.0 and try to upgrade once again.
    Also please provide us with ticket ID so i cam check the status of it.

We are looking forward to the reply from you.

15. Paul Ruseau

Paul Ruseau Bit poster

Still no luck - more details though

Hello,

Steps I just took - with any additional details - sorry it takes so long - a 34GB VM takes all night to do this kind of thing...

1) Uninstalled 4.0
    2) Deleted the 4.0 VM
    3) Installed 3.0
    4) Opened my backed up 3.0 VM and got into windows with my usual log in.
    5) Uninstalled virusscan
    6) Uninstalled Parallels tools (required a reboot - which I did).
    7) Shut down my VM (by going to Windows - Start -> Shut down)
    8) Quit 3.0

9) Installed 4.0
    10) Opened for migration the 3.0 VM.
    11) Chose backup up and convert
    12) waited a LONG time for the copy
    13) Migration began - went into manual mode automatically - taking me to the Windows login.
    14) I can log in just fine (keyboard and mouse function here!).
    15) Get to Windows - little pop ups about finding new hardware occur for a while.
    16) Then the Upgrade pop up occurs and counts down until it runs
    17) Windows disappears and the upgrade takes place - all four steps.
    18) I return to the Windows login.
    19) My keyboard and mouse do not work, and thus I cannot log in.

Note that when Windows was visible during step 14, I looked at the Device manager and the ps/2 keyboard was visible with no complaints.

That's all I have and look forward to any additional help you can (please!?!) provide.

My ticket number is 689739.

Thank you.

-Paul Ruseau

16. billjank

billjank Bit poster

Why is this still broken after six months?

I do not understand how this can still be broken after 6 months?

17. pableau

pableau Bit poster

I got help from the second tier Parallels support (which was great).
    Performance of 4.0 was abominable compared to 3.0 on my Mac, so I went back to 3.0. Why would I pay for horrible performance? I know everything I read said 4.0 was faster - but since it takes many hours to upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 - I wasn't going to waste more days of my time to get support for why 4.0 was performing so bad for me. I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 a half dozen times to deal with the mouse issue - wasted an entire week without having a functioning VM - which is critical for my work. I couldn't waste more time.

18. pableau

pableau Bit poster

Months go by, still resolution?

So here it is 10 weeks later, and I thought I'd try upgrading to 4.0 again.

Same problems as before - no keyboard and mouse...

I'm sure if I got the support folks to remote control my device, and we spent hours and hours together, we could make it work...

Ugh - the optimist in me needs to get his head examined...

19. Michael Schack

Michael Schack Bit poster

I have the same problem and are stuck at the Windows login screen. Since Mouse as well as Keyboard aren't working I can't get past it to install Parallels Tools. Apparently several months have passed by since this has been reported, is there no way to fix it?

20. pableau

pableau Bit poster

nope, still no resolution

Hi Michael,

There is still no resolution. Although I got it resolved, it was certainly not be following the directions from support (they did try).

You may need support to escalate you to their top tier support guys who will schedule a time to dial into your machine and essentially to the upgrade for you. You had better have backed up, because they need to start over, they don't fix the broken VM you have now.

It took me about a week to get this level of support. So I hope you have some time on your hands.

Good luck!