Reinstall Parallels tools?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Pixeljugger, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

So I'm on my 5 or 6th fresh v4 VM now and installing Parallels tools from the dropdown menu simply does not work. No reaction. Is there a way to reinstall Parallels tools manually? Od do I have to restart again?

2. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

select the option from the drop down. this makes it available to windows. after that xp should see it in my computer as either a cd or floppy disk. open that and run the setup.

is it possible you have autorun disabled on the xp side?

3. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Yeah, I know, but that is exactly what is not happening ;)
    Autorun is not disabled, it is on defaults.

4. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

ah....

*shh* don't tell anyone but i think there might be a few bugs running around P4...

the actual files are located in Library -> Parallels -> Tools

from there you can mount the iso directly. (prl-tools-win.iso)

5. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Yes, I found plenty already. This one is new to me, since Tools installation worked in all other VMs I created properly. Now I finally have a VM that seems to run smooth and stable but I can't install the tools. Great .....

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

After selecting "Install Parallels Tools" from the menu, the ISO-image with tools is connected to the VM and is visible as CD-ROM (usually, drive d:)

It is very strange that installation doesn't autostart (does the VM has CD-ROM device?), but it is possible to click in the Windows explorer to the CD-ROM and start the setup.exe directly

7. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Yes the VM has a CD-Drive. I tried with multiple settings ...

None of the above works.

I generated a new VM, now the Parallels installer popped up, installed some stuff. Rebooted, but there is no sign of the tools being installed actually??? And I get the "Parallels tools are not installed ..." message in the VMs Status bar when I boot it up. I can not switch to Coherence, although it is selected as start up preference for the VM, mouse sharing does not work etc. etc. So clearly a sign actually nothing got installed.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry for the inconvenience.. Really strange, that installer had failed silently.. Could you please take a look into the c:\windows\temp\parallels-tools-setup.log, aren't there anything suspicious?

9. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

This is the last 3 entries. I also noticed that the tools installer exe(s) are in that folder.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Seems ok.
    There should actually exist one more file in the c:\windows\temp - parallels-tools-setup.log (beside parallels-setup.log)

Could you take a look in it also?

Tools may be installed from Control Panel->Add Remove Programs->Parallels Tools -> Uninstall. After reboot it is possible to install tools again from scratch

11. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Just for the fun of it I started up the "plt_tools_install_once.exe" I found in the TEMP folder. I certainly did install more then when just running the installer upon the first startup of the VM.

The Tools got installed, now I'm back to the "Harddisk 1" can not be mounted problem .... sigh ...

Really guys, it's been 1.5 days and I have not been able to get a proper VM running.

12. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I rebooted the Mac. Started up the VM in question, now I get the "cannot connect to network" problem followed by the "harddisk 1" problem.

So I'm back to the problems I had when I first installed v4 yesterday morning.

13. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

P4 is like a time machine - it's yesterday all over again. just be on the look out for bill murray.

14. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Unfortunately I don't know anything about problems with harddisks (my area is networking and I know a little in guest installer)..

About "cannot connect to network" trouble: it seems to be very rare problem with loading kernel modules at Mac OS X startup (yes, your problem report was very useful) and it will not appear in the next update. But for know when this error is popupped it is required to load the driver manually from command line:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext

15. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Well, at least we have a workaround for that and it works. But does not really help when the VM can not be started anymore because of that Harddisk 1 problem.

It is getting really annoying.

ps.:I'll check out the VM Fusion trial and see what it has to offer for me.

16. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

could this also have been resolved by using shared networking instead of bridged or is the extension loaded regardless of the networking typed used?

17. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I think it is loaded regardless. Various methods of network setup made no difference for me.

18. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

About this Bootcamp partition issue:

I've asked the person responsible for the HDD and he said that this is a problem with locked Bootcamp partition (either from previous start of VM or by third-party driver.). Issue with VM will be fixed in the next update (..), but for now it is either required to reboot the Mac or restart parallels services by doing from command line

sudo launchctl stop com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon
    and then after few seconds
    sudo launchctl start com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Nope, the networking type does no difference. This is only an issue for a very few number of users with kextension not loaded during system startup.. for now only Pixeljugger have reported it.

20. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

So we end up with 3 Terminal calls in order to get the VM running. Sounds like a hotfix for the people affected is in order. Or at least an Apple script to make it more comfortable.