Final Release Still Crashes SlingPlayer

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by billdill, Jun 15, 2006.

1. billdill

billdill Junior Member

This is the third computer, the second model, the second version of SlingPlyer. No matter what the setting or configuration it still crashes. Ethernet, airport, bridged or host only, lots of vm little vm, large swap file or none, no matter. No one seems capable of telling me why. Very frustrating.

Final Release?

2. msolsona

msolsona Junior Member

I can report that I have been using SlingPlayer successfully in beta2 and in ga. With high CPU usage but no crashesh. In both cases I was using ethernet cable.

marc

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

billdill,

Could you describe details and test case of the crash?

4. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I haven't tried GA yet (didn't know about it until I saw Mossberg's writeup (congrats, that's a BIG endorsement, you'll get lots of sales)) but it has been working fine for me with Airport.
    D

5. billdill

billdill Junior Member

I've tried everything I could think of. Just a moment ago I tried a brand new install of Parallels (I uninstalled the previous version). Brand new computer, by the way. This is a MBP 17". The previous crashes were with a 15" MBP. Brand new virtual machine. Brand new install of Windows XP Professional. Brand new install of the SlngPlayer. Still crashed.

If you ever figure it out, let me know I'll try again.

I have a
    17" MBP 2.17 Ghz
    2 GB Ram
    120 GB HD

The time before crash seems proportional to the bit rate of the data stream. It lasts about 10 minutes with a bit rate of 320 mbps. It lasts about 4 minutes or less with a bitrate of around 1500 or so. Ethernet or Airport, no matter.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

And how actual crash looks like - did it show any message or just silently dies?

7. billdill

billdill Junior Member

It completely shutdown the entire machine. The screen went black and the Mac restarted.

8. japanime

japanime Junior Member

How high does your CPU usage go? Mine regular hits 125 percent, and the fans spin like crazy. Basically, I don't think it's safe yet to run Slingplayer under Parallels.

9. billdill

billdill Junior Member

I goes through the roof. I've been using CoreDuoTemp. The temp spikes and the cpu goes to 2.17 and stays there.

10. japanime

japanime Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Glad to know it's not just my machine, then.

I wish Sling would get its act together and release the Mac version of the player :(

11. billdill

billdill Junior Member

I had an interesting thing happen this afternoon. I got Parallels (GA) to work with the host only networking. I used a different router (a Linksys) with an airport where previously I had used a Belkin wireless router. I was able to run SlingPlayer for over a half an hour before it crashed. That's the longest it has stayed afloat. (Sorry for the mixed metaphor) Progress!