"Sticky" Ctrl/Windows Key Shortcuts?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MatthewW, Nov 11, 2008.

1. MatthewW

MatthewW Bit poster

I'm trying out PD4 trial and having input problems (hoping PD multi-monitor support will be better than VMWare's).

On OSX, I swap CTRL and CMD (so pressing CTRL-C is copy). This shortcut seems to work fine in a Windows guest OS with the default Parallels mappings. I can CTRL-C, CTRL-S, etc. However, whenever I type quickly alongside one of the shortcuts--I hit CTRL-S to save a whole bunch when I code--the Windows key gets stuck down in the guest OS. If I press E I get an explorer window, R gives me Run, L will lock workstation, etc. If I press CTRL once more, the guest OS properly gets a key down and a key up event, and I can go back to work.

I can replicate this by mashing on CTRL-S. Sometimes it just sticks. It happens a lot when I type and save regularly, and it's extremely annoying (all of a sudden I'm spawning all kinds of Windows-whatever shortcuts).

Anyone had issues with the CMD/CTRL keyboard mappings like this?

2. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

This is happening for me also. I "swapped" command and control, and now the control key (now mapped to the Windows key) gets "stuck", sometimes without my even pressing it, in the middle of a sentence in an email or something, at which point all heck breaks loose as the keys I press are interpreted as windows events (minimize all, lock keyboard, etc.).

This seems to happen about every 20 minutes or so.

Help!

3. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

More info: twice this morning I have been able to "un-stick" the key by pressing the control key repeatedly after changing to a Mac application then back into Parallels. Twice so far this morning I have had to shut down my Parallels session and restart it to "unstick" the control key. Hope this helps.

4. starfall

starfall Bit poster

I'm having exactly the "Sticky" cmd(win) key problem in my win xp running by parallels desktop 4.0(trial) 2mins ago. When I was pressing "L" key, I simply got my win xp locked up. It's really annoying and hope there'd be a fix soon.
    Btw, maybe you guys should extend our trial period because of this problem :D

5. benfsmith

benfsmith Bit poster

Same problem here. This renders Parallels useless.

6. jeffbridges

jeffbridges Bit poster

7. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

have you tried to disable all other virtual machine shortcuts before remapping? I.e. the only active virtual machine key remappings should be Cmd -> Ctrl and Ctrl -> Win. I have gotten this to work on a test virtual machine. I have got combinations like Cmd + Shift + <key> working like Ctrl + Shift + <key> to some degree, as described in this post:

http://forum.parallels.com/showpost....9&postcount=17

I was not able to reproduce the sticky keys issue with these settings, as Wildnight described.
    Looking forward to your feedback!

8. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

MatthewW, I reproduced the issue with sticky keys, thank you for your report. We will investigate this issue closer and move it to developers.

9. BlueCrow

BlueCrow Junior Member

Same issue here. I tried Flagg's idea and it worked, but only temporarily, unfortunately.

10. els76uk

els76uk Member

I had the same trouble - no joy trying Flagg's suggestion. Still happens. Still annoying. Surely this would have come up in testing??

11. cnquinn

cnquinn Bit poster

I also tried Flagg's suggestion and it worked for about 5 minutes before the problem occured again. The sticky keys occurs every time i use the cmd-shift-arrow combination to highlight words at a time (after the cmd and cntl have been swapped).

12. jeffbridges

jeffbridges Bit poster

Still having the problem.

I disabled all of the shortcut keys, as suggested, except for mapping the command key to the control key and the control key to the windows key, and still have the sticky key problem.

Bad news, I also have similar problems with VMWare Fusion's latest version, which I bought because version 4 of parallels was completely unusable for me due to this bug. Good news, though, I can usually get it un-stuck by switching to a Mac program and tapping the command key a few times.

13. wjs

wjs Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. Until Parallels comes up with a fix, here's what has worked for me.

I almost always work in full screen mode. Instead of shutting down and restarting Parallels, I simply switch from full screen to window, then back. That's taken care of the issue for me, at least.

14. els76uk

els76uk Member

I discovered that pressing ctrl-alt-cmd all together releases whatever key's stuck down. That's what comes of having a tantrum and whacking the keyboard :)

15. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

issues with Ctrl-Cmd swapping, sticking keys, as well as several other less frequent issues having to do with keyboards and remappings were submitted to our developers. They are currently working on providing a fix. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

16. Justin Youens

Justin Youens Bit poster

Has this been fixed? I'm running the latest version, and this happens to me every day... so frustrating. Especially when I type "L" and it locks my session. grrr So if it's been fixed, I wonder why I still have issues.

17. benfsmith

benfsmith Bit poster

No fix yet. There are things I miss about Parallels, but slow response to important bugs like this is one of the things that keeps me with VMware Fusion for now.

18. Justin Youens

Justin Youens Bit poster

Yeah, I hear ya. I have Fusion too, but last time I tried it is didn't *feel* right. But it's been a while, so perhaps I'll try it again.

19. spike13

spike13 Junior Member

How is this not fixed?

How can this bug not be fixed? It's a HUGE usability issue!!!!

I can't believe they're shipping something where you can't TYPE for any duration without windows going crazy.

I would hope someone from the support team would reply. This is unbearable!

20. Sorapoom

Sorapoom Bit poster

It also happen to me, this is so annoying and it interrupt my work. It's make me unproductivity. I think it's urgent problem that Parallels team need to solve asap.