Help! "Cannot upgrade virtual machine"

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by els76uk, Nov 12, 2008.

1. els76uk

els76uk Member

Help - I keep going through the "please wait" slideshow, and each time it goes through the process for about 10-15 mins, then gives me the attached dialog box. On clicking okay, it takes me to the windows screen with no start menu and the driver messages at the bottom; cmd+alt to release the mouse doesn't work properly. Double clicking setup.exe on drive D simply takes me back to the "please wait" slideshow, as does choosing "install parallels tools" from the menu when i can finally release the mouse. I seem to be in an infinite loop. The link in the message is of no use whatsoever.

Attached Files:

2. els76uk

els76uk Member

I tried switching off the virtual machine, restarting my mac and trying again by starting parallels and installing parallels tools. However, the mouse would not respond at all so I couldn't do much; when I tried to use the keyboard, Kaspersky kept giving me messages which I couldn't respond to. The only way to release the mouse is to alt-tab out of the application. This is very, very poor of Parallels as I'm now stuck with a non working copy of windows.

3. saywake

saywake Bit poster

Me too. Now my VM is gone!

I had the same behavior, and after I closed out of Parallels, the entire VM was deleted. Now I have to wait until I get home to restore from a backup.

Worst upgrade experience EVER.

4. els76uk

els76uk Member

Don't bank on restoring from backup... I expected I could get Parallels 3 from my Time Machine backup, but when I'd restored both the virtual machine and the Parallels app from there, it still wouldn't run - something about driver conflicts, please reinstall. Which, of course, you can't do because Parallels 3 isn't available on the website anymore. So what was the point of taking a backup?? I'm now sitting on hold because I paid for a phone call to tech support - 7 mins on hold so far to the US number, with "Thank you for holding. We appreciate your call..." every 15 seconds.

5. els76uk

els76uk Member

Then, after 10 minutes: "We deeply apologise but all our engineers are assisting other callers. Please call later. Goodbye." Disconnected.

There are some very rude words I can think of at this point. Thanks for taking my £20 anyway, Parallels.

6. saywake

saywake Bit poster

If I can't restore from a TimeMachine backup, then I'm hosed. I will NOT be happy.

stupid.stupid.stupid me.

7. els76uk

els76uk Member

I hear VMware is quite good. Last one to leave please turn out the lights.

8. robatl

robatl Bit poster

Reverting to version 3

I had the same problem and decided to revert to v3... Uninstalled version 4... Downloaded v3. Copied backup files made during conversion of image to the library / parallels folder (hidden files including image)... Installed V3 and it was like I had never left...

Good luck.

9. els76uk

els76uk Member

Thanks - where did you find v3?

10. els76uk

els76uk Member

Works now, following my phone call. I stopped the virtual machine, then went into configure, and changed the CD image file as shown in the attached file. Then started VM and ran Install Parallels Tools. Let it restart, and prob restart once more for luck, and it worked. Hurrah!

11. els76uk

els76uk Member

Attached now :)

Attached Files: