Unable to connect to Hard Disk 1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by plazmyd, Nov 11, 2008.

1. plazmyd

plazmyd Junior Member

Upgraded to 4 with all sorts of issues, but I had it working. Quit XP and adjusted settings from "Configure". Tried to start up Parallels to get this:

Unable to connect Hard Disk 1

A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine wil continue running, but the device will be disconnected.

I know this issues is scattered throughout some other active threads, but I wanted to start a thread just focusing on the issue. Parallels... can you please get on this issue and/or not release buggy upgrades please?

Attached Files:

2. John Miles

John Miles Junior Member

I had this error with a Boot Camp Parallels VM. I created a new v4 VM and pointed it at Boot Camp and when the manual install arrived I am back to the hall.dll file missing error.
    FYI.
    What next????
    J

3. snodman

snodman Member

I'm having this same error now. I have Boot Camp installed and upgraded from Parallels version 3 today. At first I was able to use the Boot Camp volume just fine from Parallels 4, but after rebooting into actual Boot Camp (which still works by the way) and then rebooting back into OS X Parallels no longer asks for my Administrator password to allow the Boot Camp volume to be accessed from Parallels and I get the "Can't access IDE drive 1" error along with the above referenced error dialog window. Very latest Boot Camp version, Mac OS X 10.5.5.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. plazmyd

plazmyd Junior Member

I did the same thing, pointing to my boot camp partition. It "works" in a very loose sense of the word. I do not think parallels tools are being installed correctly. My cursor has to be escaped from the P4 window with control-option.

5. snodman

snodman Member

That "Parallels Tools are not installed" thing SEEMS to be an error that disappears as soon as the boot is completed. It goes away for me (at least it used to before my Boot Camp drive got locked). It appears to replace the old "wait for Parallels tools to complete loading before opening anything" message in version 3.....

6. snodman

snodman Member

Very weird. Sometimes I can change configurations and sometimes I get "a disk configuration error has occured - make sure you have permissions for the disk" error. Absolutely can not get the VM to boot with the "Unable to connect hard disk 1" error. I have repaired permissions already and am logged in as a full administrator in OS X. Never get that old prompt to give my administrator password when Parallels wants to boot from my Boot Camp partition.....

7. Jason Lawrence

Jason Lawrence Junior Member

Just posted this in another thread:

"Found the problem.

-Edit /Users/<user>/Documents/Parallels/<VM Name>.pvm/config.pvs
    -In the <hdd> section, find <SystemName>
    -Change "/dev/disk0" or a similar value to the full path of the disk image in the same directory. In my case it was "/Users/<USER>/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/Hitachi HTS############.hdd"
    -Restart the VM

Why does this get overridden every time I edit the config in Parallels?"

8. plazmyd

plazmyd Junior Member

Great job Jason! That did the trick for me. I can't wait to edit that every time I make a configuration change.

Parallels... what the hell? Why did it take a junior member to provide a fix for your beta-quality release?

9. snodman

snodman Member

Yes, thanks Jason. NOW I remember! That is a really OLD bug that goes back to the very first version of Parallels. It would forget where it left your Boot Camp partition unless you hacked the config file with the actual name of the hard drive your Boot Camp partition was on.

For people trying this remember config files are VERY VERY picky about syntax and exact proper spelling. I was using the old Terminal shortcut to find the Unix path to my Parallels config file and forgot Terminal inserts a \ in front of every space in the finder name of my Boot Camp volume. After a few tries Parallels finally booted again. Works like a champ now!

10. PasteEater

PasteEater Bit poster

Truly, this is pathetic.

Come on guys, get it together. This is bush league...

11. tdehnke

tdehnke Bit poster

Hi, I have found the spot in the file mentioned (editing using BBEdit) it has 2 drives listed.

I use a partition drive for my VM that shares with BootCamp.

What would I use as the drive info for that, and do I need to change both listings?

12. epirali

epirali Member

The method mentioned here didn't work for me, but this worked:

I went to the hard disk pref, changed from boot camp to image and then back to Boot Camp, and that seems to have fixed it. Will also post in other thread.

13. tdehnke

tdehnke Bit poster

Worked

Thanks epirali,

That worked for me, and is easier than manually editing and doing it! :)

It told me I didn't have a image, I clicked to go ahead, then went back to the harddrive and it booted fine..

14. strells

strells Product Expert

This has not worked for me. I install Parallel tools, reboot, and I get the missing disk error. If I completely remove and then re-add the BC disk, I can go through the whole process again!

Help!

Steve

15. deanattewell

deanattewell Bit poster

I have upgraded WinXP Virtual machine...

And got the "unable to connect to hard disk 1"

I have been unable to start at all

Dean

16. Michael Orlov

Michael Orlov Bit poster

I've tried to install/uninstall PD 4.0 several times and found right way:
    - install PD 4.0
    - start VM and leave it as is to rebooting by itself... (automatic windows configuration takes about 5-10 min)
    - quit XP (don't close PD!)
    - go to VM configuration and do following (as you prefer):
    OR "went to the hard disk pref, changed from boot camp to image and then back to Boot Camp" - posted by epirali
    OR remove existing HD and add it again as Boot Camp - posted by Parallels member
    In both cases don't forget to click OK between removing & adding procedures!!!!

After all it works stable...
    Hope Parallel team will fix this bag soonest

Michael

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  17. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Guys, when you have some troubles with VM, better to send a report for us (use in the menu: Help - Report a problem). Remember the report ID and write it here in your message. There are some logs inside that report that will help us not to guess what happened ;)

18. snodman

snodman Member

My report number was #9912.

19. martyn

martyn Bit poster

pants

I just read all this after i got fed up with a constantly crashing Vista and deleted my VistaVM.

What a horrendous bug.

So what's best not have a bootcamped Vista VM and install it again... and all the applications? Jeez should bought that Terrabyte drive for my Mac.

20. epirali

epirali Member

FWIW every time I start it gives me this error, but changing the hard disk setting to image, then back seems to resolve it for that boot.