How to reproduce sticky key problem (and others)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Wildnight, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

Dear technical support:

STICKY/WRONG KEYS PROBLEM
    Here's how to reproduce the sticky keys problem.

First, map the Mac "command" key to Windows "ctrl".
    Second, map the Mac "control" key to Windows "windows key".

In parallels, try to select multiple files in the Windows explorer using control-click (i.e. command-click). Doesn't work!
    In parallels using MS Word, try to set single line spacing by pressing control-1 (i.e. command-1). Doesn't work! Instead, it transfers control to the parallels menu window in the Mac side. Weird! But control-2 works to set double space.

Now, on to sticky keys. Back in the windows explorer window, press windows-key-click (i.e. mac control-click) on a file. Now just plain click another file. You will see that it thinks the control key is held down. But better yet, press "L" or "M" and see that it ALSO thinks the windows key is held down. Not sure exactly how to release it but you can press control and command a bunch of times and it seems to let go eventually (most of the time).

GRAPHICS/HULU PROBLEM

1. Open Windows Internet Explorer

2. Go to www.hulu.com.

3. Play one of the videos.

4. Click "full screen"

5. Note that the video freezes after opening to full screen but audio continues to play.

6. Now try the same video from Mac Safari and note that full screen works properly.

Thanks, please let me know what you find in your testing.

Jeff

2. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

More:

* Control-back arrow (i.e. command-back arrow) doesn't work.

* right now, my session is locked because of the sticky keys; I guess I pressed L and now it wants the password. Problem is that I can't see what it's typing in the password box -- but something is wrong 'cause it won't take my password.

Help!

3. BlueCrow

BlueCrow Junior Member

Same sticky keys issues

I am having the exact same issues. You can also press several other keys and it will respond as if the Windows key is depressed, launching help windows, the login screen, etc.

4. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

One good thing I guess is I'm finally learning what all the Windows key do. Is there anyone from Parallels monitoring this forum or should I report this another way?

5. BlueCrow

BlueCrow Junior Member

I got a response on the same question in another thread and I pointed the Parallels person to this thread. Your explanation is solid. I also have found that my "=" key on my number pad does not work now.

6. mwickens

mwickens Junior Member

Also having the sticky Windows key problem!

7. bryanlyle

bryanlyle Bit poster

Sticky key problem here too.. Makes Parallels totally useless.

8. BlueCrow

BlueCrow Junior Member

Is anyone's = key on the numeric keypad no longer working? Mine works on the Mac side, no longer in Parallels/XP.

9. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

Bluecrow:

Sorry, don't have a numeric keypad, so can't test that one. My = sign works in the regular keyboard position. Wish I could help :(

Last night in the middle of a huge legal crisis where I was supposed to be emailing contract revisions to a bunch of people around 6:30pm, with everyone waiting for the docs, the sticky key thing went nuts in the middle of addressing an email. My windows locked, and I kept trying to enter the password but my password was rejected each time! The sticky key was still on. I was freaking out! It took me five long minutes to figure out to put the cursor in the username box to to figure out when sticky keys went off (while repeatedly pressing the windows key i.e. control key). I was ready to put a bullet through the LCD monitor though...

10. benfsmith

benfsmith Bit poster

Same problem here. This is rendering Parallels completely useless. My bad that I didn't backup my VM to go back to 3 with. I didn't have 10GB to spare at the moment. I put too much trust in Parallels with this release. It's a lot slower for me also.

11. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

"Email" is the best

Type the word "email" while the sticky keys problem occurs and your session:

e
    (m)inimizes all windows. If you have a lot of em open, this takes 15-20 seconds as they minimize one by one.
    a
    i
    (l)ock workstation. Now you're logged out and have to log back in.

I type "email" a lot as I do time reporting. Sigh.

Help Parallels!!

12. Lux_Aeterna

Lux_Aeterna Bit poster

Sticky M Key

I am having the same problem with the "m" key. It is so annoying. I am banging out a report for work and switch over to excel to type "SUM=" and the windows keep minimizing. When I restart the VM it corrects itself, but I can not restart my VM every instance I run into this problem. I have been pretty happy with 4.0 in terms of the increased speed and smoothness with moving around windows. Additionally, I can finally use Microsoft Life Maps in 3D. However, I have been running into a few of these quirks like this keyboard one that I have been having difficulty resolving. Someone help!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  13. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

Update from the field

Dear Parallels,

This problem continues. I run into it about 3-4 times every half hour. Please help! Or at least respond!

14. biglar

biglar Pro

Ref Hulu problem.
    Go to FAQs in Hulu.
    This is known problem for flash player used in Hulu.
    Right click on movie and disable acceleration.
    Movie should then play ok.

15. jeffbridges

jeffbridges Bit poster

Same here.

Anyone from Parallells reading this stuff? My cmd key, which I mapped to ctl in Windows, keeps sticking rendering Outlook completely useless. My fault for not saving a backup of my last version of Parallels, but this makes your product entirely and completely useless to me. Worse than useless, I can't respond and reply to email!

Anyone know if VMWare has a special price for switchers?

16. Leto

Leto Junior Member

First off... hi jeffbridges, I loved you in TRON.

Second, yes we're constantly reading the feedback on these forums. When there's an official answer to this issue, you'll get it. In the meantime (and to answer Wildnight) the fastest way to get this information to our engineer team is to use the "Report a Problem" app. in the Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac "Help" menu.

I encourage everybody here to fill out a report and submit it that way. The more reports we get, the higher the priority for solving the issue.

17. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

Leto: Problem report sent, #13071. Still getting the sticky keys problem.

18. jamesmarrduncan

jamesmarrduncan Bit poster

I have this same problem: with Cmd swapped to Ctrl, every 20-30 minutes the key gets stuck, and if I'm in the middle of typing I'll suddenly have my windows minimized, a Windows Explorer window open, "Microsoft Narrator" activated, etc. Seems to happen whether it's just remapping individual combinations (Cmd+C = Ctrl+C, etc.) or a global swap (Cmd = Ctrl). I've submitted reports #13487 and #14815. This bug is completely disruptive, and I second the comments that it renders 4.0 unusable. I've actually had to just uninstall it and reinstall Parallels 3. (Fortunately I had several backups of my pre-4.0 VM.) I was liking the 4.0 upgrade, but I can't go back to it until there's a fix for this. Hopefully soon?

19. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

have you tried to disable all other virtual machine shortcuts before remapping? I.e. the only active virtual machine key remappings should be Cmd -> Ctrl and Ctrl -> Win. I have gotten this to work on a test virtual machine. I have got combinations like Cmd + Shift + <key> working like Ctrl + Shift + <key> to some degree, as described in this post:

http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=135069&postcount=17

I was not able to reproduce the sticky keys issue with these settings, as Wildnight described.
    Looking forward to your feedback!

20. BlueCrow

BlueCrow Junior Member

Flagg, that idea worked but only temorarily. I made the change and the stickiness stopped. However, I came to this forum to answer your post a minute later and it started sticking again. I recently installed the latest hot fix from Parallels and that did not help.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008